We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shore Snorkel: trip report

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
156 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Shore Snorkel: trip report

I just got back from a week at the Iberostar Cozumel and wanted to post about my snorkeling. I rented a car for the week so that I could get around. Every morning I headed out to different shore snorkeling locations. It was great- all I did was drive up the old beach road and a find spots to park and jump in. I towed a dry bag with me as I snorkeled. It acted as a marker for boats (it is bright yellow) and carried my sandals, hat and sunglasses so that I could walk along the road back to my car when I got out of the water.

The water was very warm, and the viz was fantastic on the days that the wind was not blowing. Unfortunately, we experienced a good three day blow from the north. That really stirred things up. It seemed to trap a lot of freshwater close to the shore- it was cold and looking through it into the warm seawater below blurred the viz- it was like having Vaseline smeared all over your face mask. But dive down just a few feet and the water was warm and much clearer.

I also got stung by small invisible jellyfish in several locations. Not very painful, but I imaging it could be a problem if you are allergic.

One day I snorkeled from just south of the Intercontinental Presidente to the Money Bar. Just south of the Intercontinental Presidente there is a dirt parking area that bridges the gap between the road and the shore. There is a small “cove” the size of a swimming pool here that makes access a snap. There is a lot to see. Fish and isolated coral- even some artificial reef structures down near the Money Bar.

The next day I snorkeled Paradise reef. Access is from the road to the small boat marina “Caleta”. Drive past the marina and park at the end of the road. Walk through the huge hole in the fence and jump in the water. This area is Paradise shallows and is full of snorkel tours with lots of people in the water, but it is worth checking out. From there you can see the dive and snorkel tour boats out on the reef- it is maybe two hundred yards offshore. I swam out to the reef and followed it from the marina opening all the way to the cruise ship pier and back. There was a lot of boat traffic, but they had to go slow because there were so many people in the water- I felt safe with my dive marker (dry bag).

Another day I parked at the south gate of Chankanaab National Park and snorkeled south to the Playa Corona Bar. It was windy and rough, but the water was warm and I saw a pair of spotted eagle rays as well as tons of fish.

One afternoon I took the boat from the resort out to Columbia Shallows and Palancar Gardens. Next time I come I’ll be SCUBA diving for sure! We saw a few turtles, an eagle ray, a grouper, and many smaller fish.

I also snorkeled at Punta Sur- the reef is shallow there and I saw some great fish including a stingray and a black grouper. The north end of the reef here is very shallow and is covered with sea fans- look close and the sea fans are populated with small but very colorful nudibranchs (sea slugs).

I did not snorkel any of the sites in town or north of town. They were working on the pier next to the lighthouse in town so access there was blocked and I couldn’t figure out the parking situation. The curb was yellow, but there were people parking all along the water…

Overall the trip was fantastic and I plan to return to Cozumel.

Texas
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shore Snorkel: trip report

Great report. We like to head out daily to different places to snorkel and you talked about a few we haven't done yet, but we will in May- thanks!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,577 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shore Snorkel: trip report

This is the first "snorkel report" I recall. Very nice.

You sound adventurous. When you go back, you need to do Playa las Casitas just north of town.

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shore Snorkel: trip report

I agree.. excellent report! Thanks :-)

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shore Snorkel: trip report

Awsome information. Our plans exactly next month. Glad to hear. Was punta Sur good? We are looking for a shallow reef. You stated it was. How do you get to this one?

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shore Snorkel: trip report

That was good. Some informative info on places to jump in....

Aylmer Ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shore Snorkel: trip report

Thanks for the very good post!

We will be at the IB next week so your report is much appreciated.

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shore Snorkel: trip report

I applaud your sense of adventure.

Snorkeling is also what first brought me to Cozumel years ago and also convinced me that it was time to get my dive certification.

Excellent report!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
156 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shore Snorkel: trip report

NieNie,

Punta Sur is easy to find- just drive south on the main (only) road! When you get to the Reggae Beach Bar turn right. Access to the reef is through the National Park. There is a $10 entrance fee, but there is a lot to see and do. View the saltwater crocks and wading birds at the lagoon overview. Climb the lighthouse and get outside on the observation deck (don't look down!). Check out the small maritime museum at the lighthouse. Hang out on the fine sand beach- take advantage of the hammocks and grab a beer from the bar. And of course snorkel out to the reef. We spent half the day here and then drove up the East coast and back across to town.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shore Snorkel: trip report

It just goes to show that you don't have to spend a lot of money to have a fantastic time in Cozumel.

I think I'd have been a bit scared of the boat traffic in a couple of the areas, though, yellow bag or no yellow bag.

Great report, thank you.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shore Snorkel: trip report

Very nice review of your experience. Of course you'll be a diver when you return. Anyone that does that much snorkeling can only wish for more! To really go deeper and experience something even more wonderful.

I'm just impressed that you saw spotted eagle rays. I dive and still haven seen them. I've seen southern rays though. What's even more exciting when you dive is the very small little creatures, seahorses for instance.

A diver is born.........