We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allegro Cozumel April 8-22 Questions

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Allegro Cozumel April 8-22 Questions

We are a group of 8 going, my wife and I, our 4 kids 3months-5years, and then my buddy, and my mom. We went to the resort 3 years ago, without kids, but a lot has changed since then, like no self serve corona keg :(. Looking for some info from those who have gone there in the last couple of weeks:

1. have they fixed the jacuzzi yet?(every night used to sit in the nice hot water, and then brought us drinks from the pool bar up until 7 or so, was great)

2. anyone get to experience the kid fun, waterpark, kids clubs, kids staff, etc.? Hours?

3. Is there anywhere close to the resort to go shopping, walks, etc?(when we went there 3 years ago, never left the resort)

4. Anyone else going there during the same time as us with small kids? (three oldest are girls)

5. Looking to buy alchohol at duty free on the way out, what were the best deals you saw (mainly looking for rums)

6. Anything else we should know?

thanks so much everyone,

Grant

Edited: 23 March 2010, 19:16
Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Allegro Cozumel April 8-22 Questions

anyone?

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Allegro Cozumel April 8-22 Questions

I'll try.

1. have they fixed the jacuzzi yet?(every night used to sit in the nice hot water, and then brought us drinks from the pool bar up until 7 or so, was great)

It was working when I was there, but the water was cool, not hot.

2. anyone get to experience the kid fun, waterpark, kids clubs, kids staff, etc.? Hours?

Nope, not yet, and haven't seen it in action since First Choice left.

3. Is there anywhere close to the resort to go shopping, walks, etc?(when we went there 3 years ago, never left the resort)

No shopping. You can walk along the beach to Nachi Cocom or Alberto's but there is no shopping.

4. Anyone else going there during the same time as us with small kids? (three oldest are girls)

No, we're going later in April.

5. Looking to buy alchohol at duty free on the way out, what were the best deals you saw (mainly looking for rums)

No idea. I fly through the States, so I don't do Duty Free (no access to my checked bags). You might actually find good prices on alcohol at Mega or Playa Mart. Just bring bubble wrap and Ziploc bags for packing.

6. Anything else we should know?

Relax and enjoy!

Ft.Worth Tx
Level Contributor
424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Allegro Cozumel April 8-22 Questions

If you walk North along the Beach from the Allegro about 300-400 yards you will come to a Beach Club, Mr Sancho's I think was the name, just past it there are about 8-12 booths/stalls that are set up that locals sell various souvineers/crafts. T-shirts, Caps, trinkets, etc.

There is also a rather pathetic strip mall across the road from the Allegro. Last time I was there there was a T-Shirt shop in it. Business Hours seemed to be rather un-defined though.

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Allegro Cozumel April 8-22 Questions

anyone else, thx all

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Allegro Cozumel April 8-22 Questions

Paul_C is correct about the strip mall--nothing there. Since it has "farmacia" painted on the wall we thought we could get cough syrup there. Nope. Just some souvenirs, postcards, and a vicious little dog.

If you want to do any shopping, you're going to have to cab it or rent a van.

Ft.Worth Tx
Level Contributor
424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Allegro Cozumel April 8-22 Questions

Actually if i remember correctly there were at least three shops in the "Pathetic" strip mall; a T-Shirt/Souvineer Shop (really pretty good size shop, but run down and poorly lit); a very small shop that sold cold drinks, aspirin, shampoo, razors, some souvineers (probably the "Farmacia" Desmei mentions); and some sort of Taco/Sandwich shop. Hours for all of these shops seemed to be irregular. There was also a Rental Car Kiosk in the parking lot (don't remember the company, Thrifty maybe)

The walk North up the beach to the Beach Club was nice exercise since the sand was very loose and provided a little workout. The little row of Stalls/Booths were just past the beach clubs main building. Basic touristy stuff. If you go there remember to barter. Usually you can knock down the price by almost half.

Going South down the beach there is the Occidental Grand (about 300 yards) and then there is Alberto's (another 300-400 yards ?) (I heard that it was closed a couple of months ago though) If he has reopened it is a nice place for a beer and a snack before you start back. Be careful and look closely when you get the bill, reports were that prices charged tended to differ from the menu sometimes.

If you want real shopping you will have to take a cab into town. If you stand around in the lobby for a little while you can usually find some folks that will happily split the cab fare with you. Usually between $16 - $20 each way.

Have a Good Time.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Allegro Cozumel April 8-22 Questions

All that's left there is the souvenir shop--the farmacia and sandwich shop were gone. The rental car kiosk was still there, and the taxis hung out there as well, waiting for a whistle from the Allegro.

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Allegro Cozumel April 8-22 Questions

yeah I don't really care too much about shopping. My mom and wife might though. For me I was just hoping there might be somewhere close to the resort to pick up some booze to stick in my bag so that I don't have to carry the duty free around. By the time we do the taxi into the shopping area, won't save enough on the booze compared to duty free to make it worthwhile.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Allegro Cozumel April 8-22 Questions

Send the ladies to town in a cab one day to shop. They can buy your rum there. I can understand wanting to stay at the resort and not have to tow the kids around alot but you're missing out on the real Cozumel.

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Allegro Cozumel April 8-22 Questions

thx, ah see that isn't a problem. I am not concerned about seeing the real cozumel. This isn't a cultural/historic/sightseeing vacation, this is a relaxing (as much as we can with 4 little ones) and family playing vacation. Same as when we have gone to cuba, DR, Jamaica etc. not looking to tour the country. Last time we were in cozumel we went to see the reefs, but not likely this time.

Edited: 26 March 2010, 21:13