We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaper taxi from cruise ship pier?

colorado
Level Contributor
410 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Cheaper taxi from cruise ship pier?

Hi Everyone

I know from past experience when vacationing in Mexico that taxis in the lobby of your hotel and other convenient places are always more expensive. Is this how it is at the cruise line pers as well? Can we walk a couple of blocks to save a couple of bucks? Also, do you know which pier carnival seems to be using these days. I asked them and they couldn't give me an answer. We have a group of six people and might want to go into town for lunch and/or maybe go to paradise beach. I admit it, I am a cheapskate. I don't like shelling out so much money for a taxi. Would rather take a collectivo or a bus and be with the locals. Then I can use the money I saved on tacos, beer, and othe fun stuff! Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,428 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheaper taxi from cruise ship pier?

Six people in a van will be a trivial per person cost.

No colectivo or bus.

Cruise ship info here

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/CruiseShips

San Diego
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheaper taxi from cruise ship pier?

You are correct, the pricing from the piers is the most expensive, even compared to the hotels just steps away. If you want, walk to the El Cid or Park Royal Hotels a couple of blocks away to get cabs. Fares from there are cheaper no matter where you may be going. Do the same when returning. It may not save a lot, but it's always bugged me how the taxi fares on the island are structured. They screw the cruise ship folks the worst, the local hotel tourists next and locals lastly.

Rich

Mentioned in this post
Park Royal Cancun
Park Royal Cancun
4,841 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
cozumel
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheaper taxi from cruise ship pier?

Sd is right although if you want the CHEAPEST and are heading to town, just walk across the street and flag the next one down.......going to the two hotels mentioned is also a rip off fare-wise. You'd probably have a two minute wait if that by "flagging" one!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,184 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheaper taxi from cruise ship pier?

Betsy gives good advise--it will help little to go to a hotel for lower rates. And you could get lucky and dock at the Langosta pier, where you almost in the center of town. Several of Carnivals ships use this pier each week.

colorado
Level Contributor
410 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheaper taxi from cruise ship pier?

Thanks everybody that is was I hoping to hear. We will be hoping for langosta!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,184 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheaper taxi from cruise ship pier?

I looked at this weeks schedule and looks like Carnival only used the Langosta pier for the Imagination and the Ecstasy. This may vary a little week to week. Of course Carnival uses their own pier when possible to save money on the docking fees and to funnel everyone into the shops on their pier.

7. Re: Cheaper taxi from cruise ship pier?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2010, 07:18