We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

punta sur

Kent, Wa.
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
punta sur

I've gone to Cozumel four times now

and never had a chance to dive punta sur.

Iv'e heard that it is a spectacular dive

site. I usuallly stay at the El Coz and

the in house dive shop doesn't do that dive.

Does anyone have a recommendation on who to

contact that goes to that site on a regular

basis. Also, is this a site that is an

absolute must like Iv'e been hearing for

so long? Ray

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: punta sur

I suggest someone like Aldora. If you go to Punta Sur Sur where the wall starts around 100' (maybe a bit lower) then you want grande tanks. I have always enjoyed my trips there because the reef seems more pristine than the more commonly dived reefs farther north.

The one thing that you should be prepared for is larger swells than on the protected side. Fortunately two of my trips there it was very calm.

I would go to Punta Sur before Devil's Throat any day. If you have the chance to go...do it.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: punta sur

If you have not been to Barracuda do that as well. The Aldora website is www.aldora.com

...................The End ............................

Kent, Wa.
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: punta sur

Thanks Co. for the dive shop name.

I'm looking forward to a new dive location

on my trip in Feb.

Oregon
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: punta sur

I liked www.liquidbluediving.com They attract advanced divers who would be more likely to dive Punta Sur as well as the other advanced sites.

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: punta sur

Devil's Throat is a famous swim through that is part of Punta Sur....another famous part of Punta Sur is the Cathedral area......sorry, Co-Pilot.

Betsy

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: punta sur

Oops, I was thinking Maracaibo. Hence the comment about waves that are not normally a concern at Punta Sur. The Punta Sur area is a norm for dive ops like Aldora and even Roberto at Liquid Blue. Roberto also uses the grande tanks which are desirable for Devil's Throat.

My opinion is that Devil's Throat is a "been there done that" kind of dive. Certainly do it once with a large tank so you can do all the swim throughs.

Sorry for misreading your post but I do still recommend doing Maracaibo if you have the chance.

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: punta sur

Hey Co-Pilot.....remember me? (don't be mad!)......but why are you telling people to use big tanks? I am just curious! Would it not be better to teach them how to consume less air on the tanks provided so that they don't have to spend yet more money for the larger tanks??

And maybe Devil's Throat is a been there done that dive in YOUR opinion, but beware that Maracaibo is not ALWAYS a guarantee for large pelagic critters and many are disappointed after spending the extra money to go there........just my two cents.....don't be mad at me!!

Betsy

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: punta sur

Betsy, I am not a aquatic podiatrist but I do know that for every individual they can stay down longer on a 120 cu ft tank than on an 80. Of course this assumes the use of a dive computer to remain within proper nitrogen absorption limits.

A 120 Cu Ft tank provides mucho mas flexibility in your dive profile compared to an 80 cu ft tank.

With a 120 cu ft tank Devil's Throat and The Cathredral are not separate dives but all part of one dive. I believe that I have done the Throat going down, Cathedral then up the Throat or some such profile. Most people could not do that on an 80. You may being a woman with better air consumption but that is not the norm.

On my last trip to Coz the first dive was Devil's Throat and my thought was "Geez, not that again!" But that is me. This dive was different in that visibility was less than normal. I was last in line since I don't care if sand is kicked up in front of me.

The person in front of me bumped into the inner wall just above the throat part 2-3 times before finding the proper path. I laughed because it was funny.

Then I get there and to my surprise it was completely dark. I had always been able to sense a little light on previous dives and as I bumped into the wall trying to find the right path again I laughed at my clumsiness.

My best dive there I waited outside and much higher on the wall side while the group did their thing. As I waited, a huge loggerhead turtle came towards me passing mere feet away.

Maracaibo is a dive I would do before Devil's Throat having done both. Just my preference. I also enjoy Barracuda and San Juan.

The dive experience offered by Aldora, Living Underwater and Liquid Blue is one that I find better than the typical 80 cu ft table dive followed by a minimal surface interval on a rocking boat followed by another table dive.

People have options and those are the ones I choose. To respond to the original poster, Punta Sur and Columbia and similar sites are NORMAL with these dive ops. Maracaibo is less frequent.

I usually avoid mentioning my preferred dive shops but they are viable options for the original poster.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
cozumel
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: punta sur

Gosh Co-Pilot....I don't know why I have to be on the defensive with you all the time but here goes.....point 1--do NOT assume that all dive shops do the quick in out and surface time on a rocking boat...point 2--I serve a lovely lunch parked at the beach and we are in no rush whatsoever...point 3--Devil's Throat and the Cathedral are NOT next to each other so that you go into one and out the other, sorry but you are wrong.....point 4--the two are pretty far apart and someone WITH good air consumption can do both, but you are right..it is not the norm. My goal is to teach my divers how to breathe properly and maximize their bottom time and stay down for the whole hour....point 5--are you talking about 100 cu tanks??..........point 6--you are right, anyone diving a square profile times two dives is getting ripped off....wow--are there dive shops still doing that??....very sad...

point 7--I'm done and I'm sorry we so don't agree....maybe we will get to dive together someday and I will be able to show you an experience that you are not used to....all the best and respectfully---Betsy

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: punta sur

Gosh golly gee whiz Betsy, I surely do not know why you feel the need to be defensive. I am discussing my view of things. My last post was in no way derogatory towards you or anyone else. Nor will this one be so do not get flustered that I am cyber yelling at you. I am however letting Bob know that there are a multitude of dive shops and not all offer the same services.

I like what Aldora, Living Underwater and Liquid Blue offer. No one has to dive with them based upon my comments. I get no financial compensation from any suggestion that I make. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Response to your points:

1) Hopefully I did not say ALL. Some do. I stay away from them. So ask what their dive day is like.

2) That is good for everyone to know. Do you provide entertainment as well? :)

3) Maybe DCS is getting me mixed up like I did with Punta Sur and Maracaibo but if I recall correctly after Devil's Throat we go north a bit then up into the Cathredral where the yellow tube sponge cross is. Of course is there are multiple "Devil's Throats" and "Cathedrals" then the mix-up is understandable.

4) See #3

5) 120 cu ft although 100 cu ft and 80s are typically available for those with better air consumption.

6) We agree

7) We don't have to agree. I am not being belligerent.................just right! :)

"I will be able to show you an experience that you are not used to....all the best and respectfully---Betsy"

That works both ways .