We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - April 21 - May 1

Valrico, Florida
Level Contributor
64 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - April 21 - May 1

We stayed on the island from April 21- May 1. There were three of us: me, husband and my dad. My husband & I had been to Cozumel 2 times before and my dad once.

I’m doing reviews on the resort and all restaurants and activities. Please see those for additional details.

Thanks to everyone that contributes to this forum. I’d done a lot of research on here before we left and it really paid off. We thoroughly enjoyed everything we did and every restaurant we ate at was wonderful. Also before our trip we got the Mapchick map - this really was handy in regards to finding restaurants and info on what to do.

Day 1

Arrived around 1:30 and got thru customs pretty easily. We did a package with Apple Vacations and they provide the transportation to our resort. We stayed at the Fiesta Americana.

Walked down to the Money Bar for drinks and guac.

For dinner we went to Albinos. The three of us shared the seafood platter and it was very good and reasonably priced. We were the only people in the restaurant.

We stopped by Del Sur Argentina for empanadas. The owner was there and he was very accomodating and fun to talk with.

Day 2

We had planned to just stay around the resort this day to relax. My husband & I snorkeled from our resort down to the money bar and then floated back and saw the Dzul-Ha reef. We saw some great fish and corrals. It was well worth it.

We had breakfast and lunch at the resort.

Dinner we took a taxi to Casa Mission. The food was excellent and the atmosphere very good.

Day 3

We took a cab downtown and had breakfast at Zermatt’s Bakery - very yummy stuff. We picked up our covertible bug from Isis. We had rented from Margarita before and she was as pleasant as ever. Our bug was in good working condition.

We drove down to Playa Palancar to do the boat snorkel trip. Only me and my husband went. We went on the first trip of the day at 10:00 and we were the only people that went out. Our guide was Luis and he was very good. We saw lots of fish, spotted eagle ray, stingray and several turtles. It was great being the only ones and we saw lots. We paid $30 pp. We stayed at Palancar for a little bit after the snorkel trip.

We then drove to Playa Bonita for a late lunch. Good food and great views.

Since we’d had a late lunch we stopped at Del Sur for more empanadas for a light dinner. It was very good again.

Day 4

We drove to Jeanie’s Waffle House for breakfast

We then drove to Punta Sur. We saw lots of crocodiles in the lagoon, did the boat trip that is included in the entry fee of $10, climbed the lighthouse and spent some time on the beach. It was too windy that day to snorkel so we were bummed about that.

We then drove to Chen Rio for a late lunch. We enjoyed sitting on the beautiful beach and had the seafood platter. Food was very good.

We then stopped at Coconuts for a drink and to enjoy the view. This was our third time here and we always like their drinks. A disappointing thing happened while we were there. There was a couple at the table next to us and I overheard once the got their bill that they were short cash. They were on a cruise ship and had brought $200 but only had like $30 left. They asked the waiter if the took visa- he said no - I told you that when you ordered (he did us also). They talked about it for a few minutes and then all of a sudden they both got up and ran out. The waiter came over to the table - saw he was short like $10 and tried to run after them. He didn’t catch them (of course they wouldn’t stop). The waiter got very upset. We asked what had happened and he confirmed what we had overheard. He said that when that happens it gets take out of their tips. We just sensed how upset he was about this - we ended up covering their $10 short and left our tip in addition. It was really disheartening to see that people would handle this situation this way.

Since we had a late lunch we just wanted desert so we headed to Pancho’s Backyard. It was very good and had nice atmosphere.

Day 5

We drove downtown to have breakfast at the museum and then toured the museum. The food was great and the museum was very nicely done. I think we paid like $3 pp and it’s well worth it.

We then snorkeled at the resort the same as Day 2.

We had lunch at the resort.

For dinner we went to Casa Denise in the square. Always fun to sit there and people watch. This was Sunday night and so we just spent time in the plaza with the local people. Very fun.

Day 6

We returned the car this morning and then went to breakfast at Rock N Java.

We had lunch at the resort.

We snorkeled at the resort same as the other days.

We took a cab downtown and had dinner at La Mission and then had desert at the gelato place on the main street.

Day 7

We had breakfast & lunch at the resort.

We snorkeled at the resort again - this day we saw a spotted eal in one of the rock/coral formations. That was really great.

We took a cab and went to Kinta for dinner.

Day 8

Had breakfast at the resort. We then walked to Chankanaab. We spent most of the day there. It did rain for about an hour or so but was beautiful after that. We really enjoyed the day here. We snorkeled and saw stingrays, a huge grouper and the biggest angel fish we’d ever seen. Unfortunately due to the rain the pre-historic show that is included in admission was canceled. We did just the basic admission with no additional shows - I believe it was $19 pp.

For dinner we took a taxi to El Foco.

Day 9

I had pre-arranged a trip with Yucatreks before we came down. We took the 7:00 am ferry to Playa and they picked us up. We went to Coba, a cenote, a mayan restaurant and stopped at a family’s honey store. It was a wonderful day.

We got back to downtown Playa about 5:00 and we walked around downtown. We stopped at the Ah Cocao Chocolate Café.

After taking the ferry back to Coz we stopped at Camilo’s for a light dinner.

Day 10

Had breakfast & lunch at the resort. It was really windy on this day so we didn’t feel comfortable snorkeling.

Palancar Reef
Reefs, Geologic Formations
Santa Rosa Wall
Reefs, Geologic Formations
Columbia Reef
Geologic Formations, Reefs
El Paso del Cedral Reef
Geologic Formations, Reefs
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - May 1

Great trip report. You are wonderful people to have covered the cruise ship passengers. I can't imagine running out on a tab.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - May 1

Thanks for your report, it sounds like you had a GREAT trip, well done! Very generous of you to cover for the losers that skipped out at Coconuts. Any pictures forthcoming?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - May 1

A nice report...and....very easy to read. {:"}

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - May 1

I agree - nice report.. thanks for taking the time to post... and now pics??

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - May 1

I would never run out on a bill but I especially would not run at Coconuts!! After one of those margaritas i wouldn't be running more like rolling down that hill!!

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
225 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - May 1

Great report...easy to read and sounds like you hit all the highlights of Cozumel. We will be there in June (our 6th time). That was great of you to cover those losers balance on their tab.

Wiz

7. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - May 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2010, 05:16