We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

newbee advice

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kent, Wa.
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
newbee advice

I'm bringing my newly certified sister in law and nephew in Feb. I don't really want to take them on the boats with lots of people.

I know them, and I think a smaller group

would do them well . In fact, it would be

great if just the three of us could go with

just a divemaster so they would feel more

comfortable. Is this doable in Coz?

Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: newbee advice

For the right price anything is possible. The small boats normally take 6-8 divers. Pay for that many and you can have a boat all to yourselves.

cozumel
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: newbee advice

VegasMan...that would really not be necessary and would just cost way too much.....what sad advice........sorry to say...so Mr. "Bob"....I will try sending my webpage and may get busted....what the heck----

<www.geocities.com/scubabetsy>.......and you are from Kent??.......I spent a month there visiting friends a long time ago.....was told it would rain every day and never saw a drop.......hope to hear from you.........Betsy

s.e. minnesota
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: newbee advice

had good luck with dive paradise fast boats from hotel cozumel pier. 3-4 divers, pick your sites. back at hotel an hour before big boats got back. no shade or toilets, just sun, wind, salt spray, then dive. good luck

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: newbee advice

Bob, again you have options. My diving is done from boats that normally carry six divers. But you may only have four. With two new divers, some dive shops would prefer to segregate those two (and I assume you) from divers who want to do Devil's Throat. This means separate boats that may not be full for either.

I suggest emailing a few to see if that is what they would do for you. Some dive ops may add another DM just for the two new folks either free or just the cost of the DM. Just ask.

Now here is my preferred criteria for diving in Cozumel. Your criteria may be different.

1) Fast boats carrying six divers (may be one more or 2-3 less)

2) Available shade so I do not sunburn

3) Large tanks for extended dives. Smaller tanks available for women-folk who often breath less air due to physiological differences from males.

4) Beach surface interval. I have to lie under a palapa and run my feet through the sand.

http://www.pcisys.net/~ronlee/Scuba/Cozumel/July2002/SurfaceInterval.jpg

Phoenix, Az
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: newbee advice

ROFL... sorry it just sounded funny... bringing my newly "certfied" sister in law. I guess Certified can be taken several ways.

Yes, private groups are possible if booked in advance especially with smaller dive operations. Even if you go on a boat with others you can certainly hire your own "private" divemaster for you three. That should increase the confort level. If you stay away from the larger dive shops you should get what you want, without sacraficing quality. Remember bigger dive operation doesn't mean safer, or higher quality, rather it is more likely to be on a large boat with more people. Listen to other posters, they are steering you in the right direction.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: newbee advice

Here's a URL for a Cozumel Diving forum. You'll gain all sorts of info from here.

http://cozumel-diving.net/yabbse/

Hope this is a help for you.