We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Packaged" ground transfers may not be the cheapest option

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,588 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
"Packaged" ground transfers may not be the cheapest option

Example from cheaptickets.com going from the Cozumel airport to El Cozumeleno.

The roundtrip price for one person was $35. We will assume a couple which adds up to $70 USD for two buying in advance.

If you get two tickets for the shared van it is 78 pesos each so I will call that $14 USD for two to get to El Coz from the airport.

http://tinyurl.com/5lf29n

The return taxi...let's be cautious and say $15 USD for two.

$14 + $15 = $29 USD versus the package add-on of $70. Sure it may take you two minutes to buy the tickets, but I say that is worth it to save $41. Just my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
El Cozumeleno Beach...
5,943 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,498 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Packaged" ground transfers may not be the cheapest option

I agree , CP. And none of that huge markup goes to the locals--it goes to the people like Cheaptickets.

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "Packaged" ground transfers may not be the cheapest option

Great post CP.......I just responded lately to someone who wanted to do the "transfers" and told them to do the math........probably too late since they never came back--oh well.......what a rip off and how sad that so many think they should pay for something that, like you said, takes probably 30 more seconds to buy right at the window. And for the record, in 20 years of arriving into CZM, I've never had anyone in front of me in line........(just in case someone thinks the transfers are "faster")............you need to add this to your stickies!

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Packaged" ground transfers may not be the cheapest option

I agree with all. There was only one package, that ever was worth it and that was when I was using Funjet, it was a good bargain. But haven't used them in a few years now, since they are more expensive than anyone. I don't know what their problem is, but they are several hundred dollars more than everyone else for their air/hotel package.

We've never had to stand in line either for our taxi tickets either. The only pain is waiting in the vans while they wait for people to stuff in there. They put 4 people to each seat. Wow, it almost seems "intimate" at times. LOL

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: "Packaged" ground transfers may not be the cheapest option

ORBITZ has the same $35/ person transfer show up in the booking process. It can be removed before purchase, but what a rip-off!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
184 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Packaged" ground transfers may not be the cheapest option

Yes, we brought 7 kids with us 2 years ago, 9 in total, used Orbitz ground package $315.00 on top of 9 tickets, Big Ouch! Paid close attention to Tripadvisor friends, this year taking kids again, going straight to collectivo!

Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: "Packaged" ground transfers may not be the cheapest option

I would change the title from may not be cheaper to are not cheaper.

USA
Level Contributor
915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Packaged" ground transfers may not be the cheapest option

I have made and help make reservations for about 15 people for a wedding in June thru Orbitz. I recommended they all REMOVE the transfer fee. AND asssured them we could get the transfer cheaper and with at least 2 vans full of us, we shouldnt have to do much if any waiting.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Packaged" ground transfers may not be the cheapest option

That is just theft, pure and simple.

When it adds up to what sweetyankee had to pay, it makes your head spin.

How do they get away with it? Who actually does the transfers?

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: "Packaged" ground transfers may not be the cheapest option

""How do they get away with it? Who actually does the transfers?""

-------------------------

Hey Maria-------I guess they get away with it because unaware, uninformed people PAY it!.......and the very same shared vans are who they use, so it's exactly the same system as when you buy the tickets yourself.......no perks, no priority, same waiting until the vans fill up (which to me is no big deal), same order of drop offs.....there is literally no advantage unless walking 10 feet out of your way to save money is a problem........nice, huh!!

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Packaged" ground transfers may not be the cheapest option

Disgraceful! It just shows how it pays to do your homework before you go anywhere.

I am not very good with money to be honest, but even I would bridle at that profit margin.