We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update re:hearing aids for 14yr old Cozumeleno

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Update re:hearing aids for 14yr old Cozumeleno

Last month in my trip report, I told of Dan, the 14yr old boy we met on the east side of the island whose hearing aids were broken...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k35582…

Thought I would update those interested with the outcome of bringing them back to the states to be fixed.

The hearing aids were first sent to Tennessee to my neice who works for a company that distributes aids and accessories. She sent them to Phonak and they repaired them (for free). I was also able to get a moisture removal machine and a bag full of batteries from my neice (for free).

The next step was to replace the cracked tubes connecting the earmolds to the hearing aids. Because of how they (the molds) were originally made, I couldn't get them easily replaced and ended up having to send them to Minneapolis to a company who "bored" out each mold to accept new tubes. They did so and sent them back to me with new tubes (for free).

The final piece to this puzzle is getting a mule to take everything to the island and arrange to meet with Dan for delivery. The tubes will need to be cut to the appropriate length to fit his ear.

I am nervous about letting the aids out of my hands but excited to get them back to this sweet boy so he can hear again! Does anyone know if there is an audiologist on the island? I'm guessing NO because the family went to Cancun 2 yrs ago to get these for him. It would be nice to have someone with hearing aid knowledge able to assist.

All in all, this has worked out so positive. I am very thankful for the kindness and generosity of all of those I have dealt with this past month. I wish I could be there to see Dan's face light up with that big grin!

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update re:hearing aids for 14yr old Cozumeleno

Wineott,

What an awesome story - thanks for the update - I read about it the first time you did your trip report ! It's so great you got to do so many things for free.

I would love to help - but I am not going until mid July and going to IM first. However, we will be in Cancun for a day 7/20 - if the family wants to meet us there for the Dr. to fit the new tubes we would be willing to do that ! My husband speaks fluent Spanish - so that would also help. Otherwise we won't be on Cozumel until 7/24. I know that finding someone much sooner would be better - but I did want to let you know we can and will if you didn't find someone sooner. Like I said - we can do Cancun or Cozumel too.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update re:hearing aids for 14yr old Cozumeleno

Wineott~

I can't help in any way, but just wanted to tell you, what a great thing you did for that little boy and his family!!!

I hope you're able to find to complete your efforts.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update re:hearing aids for 14yr old Cozumeleno

I didn't see the original message, nor can I be of help now but I sure can say THANKS for caring so much. I'm sure that someone will finish what you've started, with an excellent outcome. There are a lot of caring people out there just looking for a way to help.

Larry

Freeport, Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Update re:hearing aids for 14yr old Cozumeleno

We will be on the island July 1st and I live in N. Illinois, let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks for doing such a wonderful thing!!

Bill

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update re:hearing aids for 14yr old Cozumeleno

God Bless you Wineott...

This world would be a much better place with more caring people like yourself...

Thanks for caring. Thanks for helping. Thanks for sharing...

From Memphis to you...

Denver
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Update re:hearing aids for 14yr old Cozumeleno

Check your messages.

Rockwood, Michigan
Level Contributor
695 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Update re:hearing aids for 14yr old Cozumeleno

This is so awesome. Great JOB!!! I hope whoever delivers them to him will be able to take some pictures for you!!!

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update re:hearing aids for 14yr old Cozumeleno

This company does some hearing aid volunteer work in Mexico, and it seems like I remember the local (corpus christi) office doing some work in Cozumel. I could be wrong about which location went to Cozumel. While it sounds like you have done all the work, I was thinking it may be possible they would have a local contact for Cozumel that would be familar enough with hearing aids to help you out.

www.newsoundhearing.com/hearing-aid-missions

The local number is: (361) 855-6055

Good Luck!

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Update re:hearing aids for 14yr old Cozumeleno

Thank you all....and although I appreciate the kudos, this is just one of those situations in life where you "pay forward" a random act of kindness. I have gained a whole family of new friends on the island.

I am going to ask my son's audiologist if she will teach me how to take impressions for earmolds so that the next time I go to the island I can get Dan's...bring them back here and have new earmolds made for him. As kids grow, their ears change. My son is on his second set of earmolds since he got his aids in 2nd grade and keeping up with the changes is impactful as to their quality of hearing.

This is a picture of our families the day we met on the beach. Dan is the boy in the middle with the brown shirt and my son who has hearing aids is the one with the blonde hair.

…photobucket.com/albums/…100_0679.jpg

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Update re:hearing aids for 14yr old Cozumeleno

Ahh... Now I have a face to put with those ears...