We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shade

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Bernard
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
shade

okay, I have a problem...I want to see Cozumel but I can't have too much sun. Yes, I know-- ridiculous.

Sigh, but I really really want to see the beautiful sands and beaches. Please tell me there are enough shaded places that I can enjoy!

I'm not too worried about the hotel...but are there shaded streets in San Miquel? I can usually take the heat as my hometown has 97 degree weather...

Edited: 08 June 2010, 04:34
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shade

walk on the west side of the street in the afternoon and the east side of the street in the morning. You will have to do the water front shopping in the morning.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shade

Would that be East Bernard, Texas?

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shade

That's what I do also, try to go into town in the morning before the sun comes over to Melgar (front) st. In the late afternoon, the sun is blazing on the front street shops.

I see people with umbrellas sometimes shading themselves.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shade

There are many people here who can't take much sun and I include Mexicans in this lot. Besides religiously applying high SPF sunscreen (including straight zinc oxide - white or in a funky color), solutions in use are: An umbrella or parasol for walking in town -- I've seen some great parasols but I don't know where people get them -- lots of golf umbrellas, tho.; various types of hats and cover ups -- make sure the hat fits snugly or has a tie or strap; pop-up sun shades and lean-to shades made of tarps on sticks at the beach. You will find shade in some spots but it's bright in most places. Use your creativity to find appropriate protection. You can do it! Book those tickets!

East Bernard
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shade

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! What about scuba diving? Are the boats at least shaded? I've not been scuba diving but I understand that the suits have UV protection.... any thoughts?

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shade

Many of the boats have shade and some do not. You'll just have to ask or find out via the dive op's websites.

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shade

East Bernard? I live in Katy but work in Sealy!! You can also go to the east side of the island and build some shelter out of a tarp you can get at Mega ( maybe) and some driftwood that is already set up in the sand. We did that last year.

East Bernard
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shade

Yes, that would be East Bernard Texas....thanks for the suggestion from Katy, Texas! And the information about Sergio sounds good!

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shade

I'd invest in a really good hat. Make sure you like wearing it, otherwise that will take the fun out of it. And cover up in nice summery, loose clothing so you can keep cool and covered at the same time. Also try and wear good sunglasses, preferable polarized.

I think maybe the east side would be the hardest to find shade but if you were in a car or taxi you would be fine going from one beach bar to the next to sit under their umbrellas.

A lot of the dive boats have shade but beware the tanning effect of the wind and the reflection off the water.

If you snorkel or swim a lot, wear loads of high-factor sunscreen and maybe a tee-shirt or rash guard so you don't burn while in the water.

I don't think you'll have too much trouble. If the sun gets too much for you, all you have to do is find a nice umbrella to sit under and order a large margarita. That'll put a rosy, non-sun-related glow on your cheeks.

Have fun.

Maria

10. Re: shade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2010, 07:21