We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ahh...Hurricane Season.

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Ahh...Hurricane Season.

Of course I decided to check out the tropical forecast a week before I fly down and am greeted by the news of formation #1. Is anyone watching this one http://www.crownweather.com/?page_id=29? Seems to be gathering a bit of steam over Jamaica right now.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
533 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ahh...Hurricane Season.

Watch it, but don't overly concern yourself. It will bring some rain for sure over the weekend, but other than that - it's not a concern here.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
86 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ahh...Hurricane Season.

I've been watching this for a few days now. Very slow moving storm. I feel bad for the folks in DR and Jamaica. Looks like they've had some amount of rain 17 days this month already according to WeatherUnderground.

We're arriving in 10 days, I'm hoping all will be cleared out with beautiful weather behind this storm! Even 7 days from now I think you should be ok.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,635 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ahh...Hurricane Season.

If you look at this map, which has the possible path all over the place, any impact to the Yucatan of whatever this now non-tropical storm may have should be history by the end of the weekend.

Monitor but a week out is a long time.

wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201093_…

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ahh...Hurricane Season.

I see forecasts only give it a 30% chance of development, but only moving at 10 mph it could become a concern. It gives us something to pass the time until our flight leaves...if it does. :)

I just rechecked the site and it's now a 40% of development. DOH!

Edited: 24 June 2010, 14:12
Black Lick, PA
Level Contributor
369 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ahh...Hurricane Season.

Arriving in 2 days! It needs to move east quickly.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ahh...Hurricane Season.

We also leave in two days. Hope it doesn't affect the flight.

Divert please.

Cozumel Island
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ahh...Hurricane Season.

It is extremely rare for a tropical storm in the Atlantic to move East. Storms like this are a concern because the water is certainly hot enough and if something did develop it would be too late to board up.

I disagree with co-pilot. The storm may begin to affect the island by the weekend and once the thing is over land the danger of a cyclone is greatly diminished, but look at that thing, it is bigger than the state of Texas. If the body of the storm moves over the island it could rain for several days.

Lees Summit, MO
Level Contributor
482 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ahh...Hurricane Season.

We will be in Cozumel on Sunday and I was trying not the let weather worry me. Yes, any day in Coz is better than a day at home but this post is starting to freak me out! If it were just me and the DH I wouldn't worry about but our active 7 yr old will be with us. It could be a long trip if we are limited due to storms. I am going to continue not to worry and we'll see what happens when we get there. Trying to stay positive.....

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,635 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ahh...Hurricane Season.

CZMDM, you are free to disagree with me...I just have no idea what you disagree with.

Read a meteorologist assessment here:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

The path "predicted" here,

wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201093_…

Does suggest to this smart, non-weather guy, that by the end of the weekend it won't be a significant issue in your area. That may change. That happens with tropical weather systems.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ahh...Hurricane Season.

there is absolutely no danger....100% no danger of a cyclone moving onto the Yucatan from the Caribean.