We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Coz Experiences (Not a Report)- June 10-17th

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
My Coz Experiences (Not a Report)- June 10-17th

I don't really know where to begin, because it was such a great trip and still didn't have enough days, as usual.

Of course, we stayed at El Coz and had a great stay. The staff there all just try so hard to make you comfortable and serve with a smile. Things were pretty much "as usual" for us. This trip, hubby had to stay home and my sister in law went. Of course she also had a great stay.

I don't know any other way but to be honest with my experiences at El Coz.. First, I'll just say, they are still my favorite choice as they have been for many years. I do try to observe other people's faces and how they're treated and so far haven't seen anything I would be concerned about. Personally, we did have one misunderstanding at the desk, which was cleared up and they apologised. It certainly wasn't anything to ruin my day or my stay there.

We had already made arrangements with Adrian to go on the Punta Molas trip the next day and I just can't say enough about it. Since I've already posted that, I won't go into further detail. I'll give my link to my PIcasa pictures and you can check them out. I will say though up front, that I wasn't drunk or drinking a lot. I had 2 light Maliu Run Sprites over a period of several hours. Jackie and I were just "high on life!! lol We had so much fun and certainly didn't "act our age." But who cares, we were on vacation. We're planning on taking that boat trip again, hopefully in Aug!!

Since El Coz is a reasonably priced AI, we certainly take advantage of the good restaurants Coz has to offer. One night we had dinner at Casa Denis and it was fantastic. I had grilled lobster and Jackie had shrimp. We had excellent service and even was seranaded by a large group of people from El Coz having a celebration, complete with baloons on their head. lol. It was obvious they were having a great time. But I have a feeling they would pay for it in the morning.

I'm trying not to make this too long, but since I owe several reviews, or as I prefer to call it, "my Coz experiences" I'll tell my very special experiences.Of course, I did a couple of dives with my favorite DM, Hector at Scuba Du! Those guys there are so great and I don't say that lightly. They truly give great service! I finally got my new Sealife camera and it was so easy to use and I just love it. My favorites are turtles! I finally saw a Porcupine fish over a foot long. He was so cute! We saw 2 Lionfish, one of which Hector captured. The other one had too many places to hide. I know I'm forgetting many things, but you can see in the pictures. After all a picture is worth a thousand words.

As much as I love to dive, I think the highlight of my trip was going to the east side and searching with the biologist and his asst for turtles coming in and laying eggs!!! Yes, I said it! I had been nagging and pleading with Adrian for months to take us to see that event. When I left Coz in April, my intent was to return with that in mind, but really didn't think it would actually happen. But dear Adrian, came through! First I have to say, this is an all night event. We drove behind the biologist back and forth most of the length of the island twice (4 runs). It was a very slow process, with them shining red lights up and down the beach to spot either the turtle already on the beach laying, or places where one had layed her eggs and returned to sea. It's amazing how they spot where they've already been. The biologist and asst were so quick to recognize tracks and other signs of the turtles. Sorry, I'm getting so detailed, but this was a once in a lifetime experience and for some people NEVER. On our last drive down the beach, there she was, in all her splendor! She had already began laying her eggs in the hole she had dug. We very quickly and quietly got to her and since she was too close to the waterline, they put on latex gloves and began removing the eggs one by one as she layed them. I couldn't believe we were actually wittnessing this. The reason they were removing them was to move them farther up the beach or the waves would have washed them out of the sand. They prepared a hole exactly like the one she had dug and began to place them in one by one, counting each one. They no longer put them in containers to wait for the babies. They want to make it as natural as possible, by keeping them as the mother had placed them. They marked the nest showing how many eggs, the date and all info they needed (forgot all). We weren't able to take pictures with a flash, so the pictures are in red. By the way, the turtle was a Loggerhead and was about 35-40 yrs old and weight between 400-500 lbs! She had barnicles on her back. When she covered the hole, thinking her eggs were there, she was so tired. They helped her turn and she returned to the sea. Truly a wonderful experience.

I just have to say, they operate on a "shoestring." They need latex gloves, headlamps with the clear and red light. They don't cost much. They really need items such as that if anyone is interested in helping out with that. Oh, and also batteries. Adrian is supposed to get a list of their needs.

Our little island of Coz has so many needs, from individual citizens, to the protection of such beautiful animals. They just need so much help. That was evident to me in being part of that experience. I will truly remember that as long as I have a memory. ha ha. I think I'm about to reach that peak now.

We started at about 9:30 or 10:00pm and finished at 2:30!! We got back to the hotel at 3;00am. We were leaving for home the next day. When we got back to the hotel, I got out of my sandy clothes and just dropped in bed, I was so sleepy. Unfortunately, I forgot to take out my contacts and the next morning, my eye was so blood shot and in pain! I looked like I had been on an all night bender! But it was so worth it!

This is waaaaaaay longer than I had intended, but I just had to tell about the turtles.

Oh!!! Can't forget about having dinner with Hector and his family at Especias. We had a wonderful time with his family and of course Adrian was there with his antics. Needless to say the food was excellente! Some of us had the bacon wrapped shrimp and others had a chicken dish. Sorry, don't remember which, but Hector didn't leave anything on his plate. lol . He said it was excellent.

With that, I'm off to bed.

Here's the link to my picts.

http://picasaweb.google.com/oceanfreak.pat

Oh this is way longer than I intended.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Coz Experiences (Not a Report)- June 10-17th

thanks for sharing your adventures with us Pat ! I love the turtles too - love your photos !

We wanted to do the boat ride with Adrian too - but my 12 yr old has some medical issues that we haven't gotten quite under control yet for full sunshine and no bathroom all day. We'll be taking our fun in smaller doses this summer : )

Suzanne

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Coz Experiences (Not a Report)- June 10-17th

Pat, do you have strobes with your 1200? I finally used my 1000 this week, and I'm gonna have to fix EVERY shot - too blue.

Denver
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: My Coz Experiences (Not a Report)- June 10-17th

Hola,

Most of the group were up and doing better then you would expect. Wish I would have known that it was you, I would have intoduced myself.

They seem to taking some of the comments to heart at the El Coz. This was my 8th stay(I think) and the service was the best I remember. I love it when people say that their is no booze in the drinks. This trip I was being asked if I wanted a double (declined). Group of 12 and everyone seemed to find something for dinner every night.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Coz Experiences (Not a Report)- June 10-17th

There's no booze in the drinks because Uncle D drank it all !

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Coz Experiences (Not a Report)- June 10-17th

Daryl, I only have one strobe. I've been slowing getting photog toys piece by piece. So far so good with the one, but at a distance, as with the turtles, one doesn't really do much. The Sealife 1200, has changed so much in the way it operates. Instead of several tiny buttons, it has bars. I got it specifically for that. I wear contasts and my vision underwater leaves a lot to be desired. I can operate the camera so much better and it is way more user friendly for this old grandma!

Cozed, there were diferent groups there at the same time. There was a bunch of high school grads there. Not sure which group you were with. All I can say, everyone looked like they were having a blast!

Glad you all enjoyed the pictures.

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
381 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Coz Experiences (Not a Report)- June 10-17th

Wow a 400lb Turtle! How amazing! Thanks for sharing your wonderful experiences on Cozumel... I always enjoy reading about them.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Coz Experiences (Not a Report)- June 10-17th

I realize that the turtle experience is great. Do follow up with a baby turtle release once the eggs start hatching.

But how does one forget a pivotal moment such as you experienced in the El Coz lobby and did not mention? Perhaps you do not wish to make the other women jealous. I will go with that thought process :)

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Coz Experiences (Not a Report)- June 10-17th

OH MY -did she get to view the black socks and didn't mention it !!!!

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Coz Experiences (Not a Report)- June 10-17th

Actually Ron, I fully intended on mentioning that moment! I did look for Black socks. ha ha.

I finally met Ron, but wer really didn't get to visit much. I was always in the lobby when we met, trying to keep in touch with home and making arrangements for the next day. Being the southern girl that I am, I felt terribly rude, since I couldn't converse more than I did. But he and Jackie seemed to be doing fine.

I forgot that he had given me his email and I was walking around the hotel asking men if they were Ron. One guy said, no I'm not Ron, but I will if you want me to be. ha ha. We were in the elevator and when I left, he said "poor guy." I was so embarrassed. I finally gave that up and went to the front desk and asked, and she just smiled the whole time she was looking him up in the computor.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Coz Experiences (Not a Report)- June 10-17th

Hmmm- wonder what stories she could tell !