We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving etiquette

Kent, Wa.
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Driving etiquette

What are the road rules in general when driving in Cozumel ? I'm talking about the little things that people on the island

know about. For example, honking the horn

at cars in certain situations etc.

Thanx Ray

Puerto Escondido...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving etiquette

Rule#1: Don't drink and drive.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,711 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving etiquette

I would be surprised if their is such a thing as driving etiquette in Cozumel! Its every man, woman or child for themselves.

Actually doensnt seem to be much horn honking as in other Mexican places. However, the traffic can be chaotic mostly due to mopeds everywhere, often driven by underage school kids!

But, if in a car, you will have no problem. Just dont rent a moped!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving etiquette

Hey Ray:

Defensive driving is the rule, you have to be very careful here when driving in town, people will come out of any nook and cranny possible, often not looking. You need to watch for moped, bicycles, pedestrians, horse carriages, the large tricycles, and other cars (parked opening doors, etc.) For some reason in Cozumel pedestrians believe they always have right of way, this holds true for locals as well as the pod people (cruisers) who will walk through and intersection, nose buried in their maps, and not even look for oncoming cars. When parking in town remember to look for white curb, if you park on red or yellow curb you may be towed.

Driving out of town normal rules apply, be careful (the not drinking and driving of course is a given) same rules as in the US. By the way if you go to the other side be very careful where you park, the new patches of road are bordered by deep sand dunes and I know from what I've seen recently that once people start going over again inrentals, there are going to be alot of stuck cars.

Enjoy Cozumel!!!

PS and please visit www.cafepress.com/antonioscozumel

Puerto Escondido...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving etiquette

Antonio,

What's the difference between a red curb and yellow curb ?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving etiquette

Not exactly sure Lenca, I think red is no parking ever, and yellow is for temp parking, or cabbies, not sure. Both get you towed though, that's for sure (well, "for sure" if the tow truck is doing rounds, or if a cop sees the car and radios the tow truck).

After Wilma the County actually came up with a moronic new parking plan for town and it has become MAYHEM to find a parking place in town, many curbs that used to be white are now red and yellow, I don't know what they think they are achieving with it.

Puerto Escondido...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving etiquette

The last few years the paint was so chipped and worn on most curbs you couldn't tell what color it was. What's need on Cozumel is a large easily accessible parking garage within a 5 or 10 minute walk to downtown.

Phoenix, Az
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving etiquette

For Americans the E with a red slash through it means no parking... usually between the signs. In my opinion parking in Cozumel is easy and never had a problem. Driving again as others have said is defensive, and if you are going slow on the "highway" stay as far to the right if someone is coming up on you and trying to pass. Usually cabbies are tryingto pass as their time is money.

Just be careful, look out for mopeds and the infamous Topes (speedbumps) not all are painted real well but they are listed by signs to the right side of the road. Just take your time and you will be fine... although I fully recommend 100% insurance just in case!

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving etiquette

Ray....the other thing that no one mentioned is that the CALLES (=streets) go east west and you must stop at each intersection.......the AVENIDAS (=avenues) go north south and you do NOT need to stop.

THAT SAID....(hahha) there are MANY exceptions to the rule...and many wierd situations where several streets go BOTH ways...........(av 5 north for example!)......so just go slow in town and you'll be fine..........good luck and be careful.........Betsy

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving etiquette

Reference Betsy's comment, I try to assume that an American like me is travelling east-west when I am going north or south. Hence assume that he (me) may not know to stop. You may have the right of way but avoiding an accident trumps that.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving etiquette

If/when in doubt, look for the big red stop signs at the corners, always a good idea to follow those while you learn the calle/avenida thing...