We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel vs Grand Cayman

ft worth, tx
Level Contributor
432 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel vs Grand Cayman

Looking at booking trip for April 2011,

Looked at Cozumel and Grand Cayman, never been to either one, just wand to be lazy, snorkle, relax, not much into the night life, want to stay in rental so we can do a little cooking, and will for sure rent a car.

Which Island would you choose and why,

Thanks, Montie

Texas
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel vs Grand Cayman

Hi Montie, visited both last summer. Stayed at the Marriot Grand Cayman, right on the beach. The water was okay, not as clear and pretty as Cozumel. Grand Cayman was more expensive, driving was a pain. We rented an explorer, have to get use to driving on the wrong side of the street. A little busier there than Cozumel. We have been going to Cozumel since 2005. We sometimes try a new place but are soon to discover we prefer Coz overall.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel vs Grand Cayman

Been to GC twice -- didn't like it the first time but everyone raved about it, so we tried it again -- and found it not to be our type of place. The best things there, IMO, are Stingray City and free rum cake samples, which you can easily enjoy in one day. Then, what?! Unless it's changed, there's really not much to see.

GC is very expensive compared to Coz, especially restaurants & groceries. Drive times from point to point are also longer -- largely due to the funny shape of the island but also because there's a lot more traffic. There's some wonderful shore snorkeling along the east end and Seven Mile Beach is very nice but those aren't enough to coax me back.

Coz has more of a welcoming neighborhood feel, with relaxed gathering spots open to the street -- didn't find that feeling anywhere on GC except maybe inside a few local bars. And while our beaches aren't as wide or long, the ocean is much nicer here.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel vs Grand Cayman

I can only speak from my cruise experience of both places, but I will say that Cozumel really exudes culture. It was friendly and fun. That is why I'm going for a week starting Saturday. :) GC was pretty, but it seemed lack the personality. As stated by others, it's pricier too. It really depends on the type of person you are and what you expect. Research forums for both and consider all the opinions. Good luck.

Edited: 29 June 2010, 16:22
Madison,WI
Level Contributor
529 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel vs Grand Cayman

We are 50 something, 36 year married, vacation condo dwellers who go for dive vacations. Cozumel last April, GC 3 times in the past. Put them both on the list to visit. Cozumel has San Miguel. GC Georgetown-7MB. Both islands have lots of quiet condo areas outside the busy towns. Plenty of places to explore, snorkel, hike, whatever on both. I realize this doesn't choose one, but it depends on which part of which island you choose to stay.

Sunray, Texas
Level Contributor
248 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel vs Grand Cayman

We've been to GC several times on cruises...the same with Cozumel but, we travel to Cozumel once or twice every year for a week at at time. To us there is no comparison...Coz all the way!

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel vs Grand Cayman

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147364-i260-k3737…

As I thought, it doesnt matter which forum you go on, you will get the home town cooking. I have been to both, and hands down I would chose Cozumel if you want to snorkel, eat (restaurants/bars), meet the locals, and not spend as much money doing so.

Art

P.S. Personally for a real bias opinion, I would go on another forum like PDC, Cancun, or one of the islands to get a bias opinion. We are on this forum (Cozumel) because we are partial to this lovely little island.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
311 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel vs Grand Cayman

Hands down we prefer Cozumel. Have been to GC many times on cruise ships but always look forward to the stop on Cozumel. We love the low key feel of the island, the warmth of the people and of course, the food!

We thought about another cruise ( our 8th) in September but decided being

confined with 3000 people just wasn't our cup of tea. So we are anxious for our week long stay on beautiful Cozumel!

Must say though I have some beautiful

jewels from Cayman!

Edited: 30 June 2010, 01:05
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
311 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel vs Grand Cayman

Hands down we prefer Cozumel. Have been to GC many times on cruise ships but always look forward to the stop on Cozumel. We love the low key feel of the island, the warmth of the people and of course, the food!

We thought about another cruise ( our 8th) in September but decided being

confined with 3000 people just wasn't our cup of tea. So we are anxious for our week long stay on beautiful Cozumel!

Must say though I have some beautiful

jewels from Cayman!

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cozumel vs Grand Cayman

Totally agree - Cozumel. We have been to Grand Cayman several times on cruises and 6 hours has been sufficient. I'll take my weeks in Cozumel!

Ruston, LA
Level Contributor
668 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cozumel vs Grand Cayman

Been to Grand Cayman three times. Once by cruise, once for week at a resort diving and then doing a liveaboard for a week diving. The best diving IMHO is on Little Cayman. Lots more beautiful corals than on Grand Cayman.

Realize that when you step off the airplane your dollar is worth about 75 cents so everything is much more expensive.

We picked Cozumel hands down over GC. In fact we kept going back to Cozumel so much that we finally both a house there,(here). I'm here for 11 days while I'm writing this.

Your dollar also goes farther and depending on the exchange rate it will be 12 to 13 pesos to the dollar. ATM's are all over the place and it's easy to make withdrawals.

And the other thing is that the folks in Cozumel drive on the same side of the road as we do in the states.