We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too Much Information

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,042 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Too Much Information

Some good points made in this article from Consumer Traveler titled "Too much information, how online reviews can make you crazy". One quote I especially find true , "while some travelers cheerfully review any hotel they stay at, the natural tendency is only to write when something is really good or really bad. And of course, some people will complain about anything"

You can see the article here http://www.consumertraveler.com

JOHNSTOWN, PA
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too Much Information

I write reviews whether good or bad and feel it is my obligation since I read reviews prior to going. I tend to skip reviews that are someone's first post because they are usually from someone who wants to complain and didn't ask any questions first.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,402 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too Much Information

What I find entertaining about reviews is how differently one person can view the same week at the same resort! It also boggles my mind how people can blame the resort for issues with their flights...hello?

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,402 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too Much Information

This is my very favourite least-helpful review EVER:

“Was supposed to stay a week and flew home the next day.”

Hotel Cozumel and Resort

F8L8 1 contribution Peoria, IL

Apr 7, 2010 Went with a group of divers and I don't dive. My husband touted this as a wonderful "all inclusive" resort. When we got in, my nose immediately filled up and got a headache. Musty smell (believe from hurricanes 2 years ago and not properly restored) and smoking allowed in all rooms. Poor mattress with egg crate topper and the blanket provided did not even reach the ends of the top of the bed. The food was absolutely awful unless you like fried Mexican food at all your meals...I'm watching my cholesterol and couldn't eat anything. The fish they cooked was still raw in the middle. The noise was unbelievable due to the thin walls. Could hear the conversation next door. Spots on the sheets. We arrived at 2:00 PM, my husband left to dive (despite telling me they would only dive in the AM and I was on the phone at 3:00 PM making arrangement to return home and was on a plane at 2:00 PM the next day. Left my husband there to ruin his health on the poor food and go diving with his friends. At least he wasn't there to sit around in this musty, low quality room. Go at your own risk. I kissed the US soil when I returned 24 hours later and felt like I was gone for a week. I'm sure there must be nice places in Cozumel but this isn't one of them.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,042 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too Much Information

I bet her husband had a great vacation. He will probably be returning!

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too Much Information

That's funny ! I wonder if her husband ever left Cozumel !

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,042 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too Much Information

Thats true. Her husband is probably still here having a great time and enjoying everything!

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,402 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too Much Information

Yeah, she must be a total peach to live with...! Poor guy.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,042 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too Much Information

"Total peach". I like that. Wonder why he went to dive as soon as they arrived?

Edited: 07 July 2010, 19:05
cozumel
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Too Much Information

That's hilarious, Desmel.......(or pitiful)...........I can just picture hubby doing the happy dance all through the lobby every morning.......but of course, who in their right mind would want to leave Peoria for a vacation in Cozumel in the first place!..............hahah...........Betsy

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Too Much Information

Total Peach - or a Total Prune !