We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't miss Del Sur Empanadas...they're moving

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
131 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Don't miss Del Sur Empanadas...they're moving

Just wanted to post a quick note that Del Sur Empanadas is moving. I believe they have already closed in their current location so that they can get set up in their new spot. So, if you walk by their old spot (near Kinta and Zermat's) and see that they're closed, have no fear.

My understanding from the owner is that they will be re-opening the first week of August at their new location -- just down the street from Tony Rome's and The French Quarter. It will be on the corner of Calle 3 and Ave 5 Sur.

Seriously good food and fantastic service.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't miss Del Sur Empanadas...they're moving

NOOOOO not until August !!!! I will be there 7/24 - 8/1 and I planned on eating there several times !!!!!

Where else can I get awesome Empanadas like that ?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,063 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't miss Del Sur Empanadas...they're moving

Empanada places all over town but I never remember the names. Del Sur has great empanadas but as a local, I cant afford them on a regular basis.

Casa Denis has a back patio, which is not often frequented by tourists, and there you will find locals eating a big variety of empanadas in the mornings, as well as other choices.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
131 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't miss Del Sur Empanadas...they're moving

I think I saw posted somewhere some prices that were higher than what we paid. Each of our empanadas were anywhere from 12 to 18 pesos. Our entire bill for eleven of them plus 3 waters and a soda was $20 USD.

As annual visitors, we thought it was pretty reasonable compared to many places we went. In fact, we were really surprised at how much prices have increased at most places even within a year's time. Our lunch out at Playa Corona (fish/shrimp ceviche and a couple of beers apiece) was around $25 USD. We were really surprised because we remembered it being much cheaper. Even the prices at Los Otates seemed higher this year.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't miss Del Sur Empanadas...they're moving

We ate at Del Sur last year and I remember for 4 of us it was very reasonable ! Plus the variety was out of this world !

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,063 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't miss Del Sur Empanadas...they're moving

I agree, by tourist standards , the prices are not bad. But , by local standards, not cheap. Of course, when I vacation, I know I also pay higher than local prices--thats just part of the vacation.

I am not familiar with Playa Corona because I dont go there but not surprised at that price. I have found Otates prices easing up as they are being "discovered". Its an ok place and has a great location for the tourists to enjoy.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't miss Del Sur Empanadas...they're moving

But this is a forum for trips right - therefore people going for vacation - so people familiar with places that tourists go would be going. For me, on vacation - I'm not cooking - so I'm interested in going places.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,063 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't miss Del Sur Empanadas...they're moving

You are correct--I am familiar with most places tourists go. Its just that I dont often go. And many are interested in places with a local flavor which is why I comment on places like the back patio at Casa Denis. Casa Denis is one of several places frequented by a mix of locals and tourists. Thats the good thing about Cozumel, as I am sure you know, something for most any taste in most any price range!

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't miss Del Sur Empanadas...they're moving

Do you know if it's a bigger place and he'll actually have several tables to sit at? I'm getting so hungry now just talking about Empanadas and Otates..

We had some really delicious home made empanadas made by the girlfriend of a friend of ours a couple of weeks ago..

Indy
Level Contributor
993 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't miss Del Sur Empanadas...they're moving

Linkslady, that was going to be my question too. I would guess the reason he would move is for a larger place. We loved Del Sur and the owner Renee and glad to see he has grown so popular.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
131 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't miss Del Sur Empanadas...they're moving

Regarding Casa Denis -- The last two times we went there the service was horrible and the food mediocre.

This time to Cozumel we swore we wouldn't even go on the plaza. I'm not a big shopper and how many t-shirts do I need from Cozumel anyway? But we wound up there anyway for lunch one day so we went to Casa Denis. Our waiter was not only unfriendly he was downright rude -- immediately put off by the fact that all we wanted was a couple of beers and tortas. We even heard him and another waiter quite loudly refer to another patron as a cabrón which we were kind of shocked by. Guess they figured we didn't know any Spanish. We were definitely under the impression that the waiters there have had their fill of American tourists -- apparently even those of us who are polite and try to be friendly.

So, the two tortas (no where near as good as Super Hit) and two beers cost us about $18 USD and the service was terrible. Like most people, I'm happy to pay for a good meal and even more for great service. But, to us anyway, Casa Denis had neither. In the 10 years we've been visiting the island this restaurant seems to have gone downhill. What a shame, too, because of its longstanding history.