We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Coz July 4 - July 11

Texas
Level Contributor
399 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
El Coz July 4 - July 11

We stayed at El Coz 7/4-7/11. Now, we love El Coz and have stayed here many times. This trip was not one of the best ones we have had there. I can't really pin point it, there were just some things that we experienced that we never have here before.

Room: we stayed in the north tower, 2nd floor, 201. we love to stay on the first floor of the north tower, close to the mini golf. we have an 8 year old son and he loves the mini golf so it has always been so nice for us to be able to sit there and watch him or be in our room and he runs out and plays. for some reason, they had all of the first floor rooms blocked for this week, no one was staying in them?

the room was great but the bed I slept on was HORRIBLE. i have been to to cozumel many times and i am fully aware that the beds are hard but this one was a brick! my back and neck were killing me everyday. it wasn't until the last day that i realized that the other bed was a bit softer!

we were woken up multiple nights by very loud people outside our room. this has never happened to us before. lots of hoopin and hollarin going on late at night? we had to call the front desk one night and insist they come break up this party.

Food: we all know the situation with food at El Coz....hit and miss. we are not picky at all and have never had a problem with the food at El Coz but this trip was different. i had a hard time finding things to eat at the buffet and even the menu items weren't as good as in the past. we pretty much lived on club sandwiches towards the end of our trip!

People: It was unusually crowded at the hotel for this time of year. we go every year this week and there were lots more people this time. all we can think is that maybe some florida vacationers came to cozumel? it wasn't too crowded but it was a different kind of crowd than we are use to. i didn't see much tipping going on at all and quite a bit of partying. we even had one of our towels stolen which has never happened.

Overall, we love Cozumel and we love El Coz but just didn't have the best of trips. We had fun but when you go year after year and it doesn't live up to the past expectations, it is kind of a let down. The staff is great although some were a bit slow. I had to go get our own drinks at break/lunch and dinner some days because no one ever came to our table. Maybe understaffed? Snorkeling was great, the water was beautiful. We will be back in Cozumel for sure but we might take a break from El Coz.

Texas
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: El Coz July 4 - July 11

Thanks for the report.

The things that bothered you would have bothered me too.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
373 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Coz July 4 - July 11

Agree...those things would have bothered me too. Maybe it is time to try a new place! Cozumel has so many nice hotels and restaurants.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Coz July 4 - July 11

Just a tip. If you ever get a bed that's like that, you need to immediately call or go to the front desk and ask if they could please put an" eggcrate" on the bed. I have even had 2 before. I already have a bad back, so I can totally sympathize.

If you're not being waited on properly, you might want to talk to the restaurant manager. I don't mean guns blazing, as I know some do, and of course, you wouldn't. I just mean the problem needs to be addressed.

Actually, anytime you have a problem at any hotel, just politely talk to a manager.

Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Coz July 4 - July 11

Just got back for El Coz last night. We were there from July 7-14. Ths was our first and last trip to there. The food was awful, service was slow. The grounds were nice but that is about all I can say good about this hotel. Spent was to much money eating out because the only desent meal of the day is breakfast and the last 3 days it was not cooked all the way.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Coz July 4 - July 11

I have to admit that most of the bad things listed above have happened to me at one time or another, but I am still returning tomorrow because I believe the good things still outweigh the bad and the hotel still best fits our needs compared to others in Cozumel.

You just can't compare hotels in Cozumel to those in Cancun or the Riviera, you have to judge them on a different scale...especially when it comes to food.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
328 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Coz July 4 - July 11

I was at the El Coz from June 29 through July 10 and I do not have a significant complaint. My number one Con is that Uncle Daryl wasn't there-just kidding.

We tipped everyone from day one and by the second night, all of the bartenders and waiters new my name and gave me and my family fantastic service.

The beds are not as nice as what you'll see in an American hotel but they are far softer than just about every other of the ten hotels we've stayed at in Cozumel.

I was on the sixth floor in the south tower and didn't have any issue with anyone being loud. The food was hit and miss in my opinion. There was always something we could eat and ordering off the menue was usually better than the buffet.

Sorry you didn't have a good experience. I like the El Coz but we typically try out different hotels on every other trip. We most likely will stay there again but next time we want to spend more time on the southern end of the island.

Edited: 16 July 2010, 18:07
Texas
Level Contributor
399 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Coz July 4 - July 11

Don't get me wrong, we love El Coz and I am sure we will be back. I was just bummed that we didn't have the best of experiences this time. It was just different. We tipped everyone and usually had great service. It was just really slow while eating but like I said, it was way more crowded than it usually is this time of year.

I know the beds are hard and have never had a problem. This one was just REALLY hard AND it had the egg crate on it!

I was really surprised by the late night loudness. I have never experienced that before, it has always been nice and quite. One night it went on for so long that we had to call the front desk, twice. I didn't want to complain because I know they are on vacation too but after an hour, enough is enough...go to bed! :)

8. Re: El Coz July 4 - July 11

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 06:17