We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Occidental Grand Cozumel

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Occidental Grand Cozumel

My wife and I will be at the Occidental Grand week after next. Looking for recommendations on the rooms there. Which area of the resort is best for a nice view, proximity to the beach, etc.

Thanks

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Occidental Grand Cozumel

We'll be return guests there in early August. Nicest A-I resort on the southern end (best snorkeling & diving) of the island. We like El Presidente when traveling without our young kids. Others like Palace, but there is no beach & it's too close to the cruise ships.

OGC rooms are set back from the beach, so no beachfront or waterfront views. Buildings 18 & 19 (deluxe concierge) are closest to the bridge to the pool & beach. Building 15 (standard) is mid-way from the lobby/restaurants to the beach & not too noisy if there is an evening show in the outdoor area by the lobby.

We like 2nd floor rooms. My wife thinks less bugs can get up there! If it makes her happy... You can get a room on the 3rd floor but know that there are no elevators. All buildings are walk up. In the heat & humidity, it may be a test. I think they're all the same size, too. Nice luxury bathrooms with walk in shower & separate tubs, marble everything, nicely done. Beds are firm but comfortable. I heard from another traveler a trick: take off your fitted sheet, put the comforter right on the mattress, then put the fitted sheet back on. Now you have a pseudo-pillow top mattress!

The entire resort is quite small compared to most other mega AI resorts in Playa or Cancun. You can walk from one end to the other in 7 minutes. Food is good for an AI. Ask for specific booze brands if you want. Otherwise they'll mix rail brands. No big deal. And if not strong enough, ask for a "doble" or "mas alcohol". All resorts pour light alcohol because they don't want a bunch of stumbling drunks falling and getting hurt.

Relax, enjoy the peace & fun, try hobie cat sailing, snorkeling, and walks on the beach.

Bye,

SeaBass

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Occidental Grand Cozumel

We have been to the Occidental Grand twice now and love the place...Not to big and both times have stayed in building 15...Midway to the beach and restaurant...5 minute walk either way...This place has a great beach and the wife snorkled off shore both times and had a great time...Food was very good try the steak at the restaurant was awsome....They have two pools quiet and the one by the beach, we enjoyed the quiet one to read in the afternoon..Rooms are very nice my only comlaint was both times they had a musty smell to them so bring fabreeze or a sented candle...

Safe travels...jimmy

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Occidental Grand Cozumel

SeaBass and Jimmy,

Thanks for the info. Just two days to go now and we'll be there!

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Occidental Grand Cozumel

We're taking some school supplies & viewed DVD movies for the Kids Club. If they don't need them, then, Nelly at the Royal Club (concierge) will get them to needy school children. Tons of sales at local stores (Walgreens, Staples, Office Depot, etc) offering 1 cent folders, glue, notebooks, pencils, and more.

OGC is similar to another mutual favorite, Catalonia Royal Tulum. Except you now get sunsets instead of sunrises.

Enjoy & post a report/pics when you return,

SeaBass

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Occidental Grand Cozumel

DVD's from the US most likely won't play in DVD players sold in Mexico. The USA is region 1 and I think Mexico is region 4, which relates to a form of protectionism used by the movie industry to prevent new releases from one area of the world being pirated & played in areas that the movie hasn't yet hit the theaters.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Occidental Grand Cozumel

We were at the Allegro in April and had a DVD player in our room. We knew that ahead of time so we took down those cheapy 4 movies on two discs. Anyway, it worked for us. No problems.

7. Re: Occidental Grand Cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 05:17