We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nachi Cocam

indiana
Level Contributor
483 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Nachi Cocam

Was wondering if anyone has been here lately and how is the snorkling here? Are they still charging $49 for the all-inclusive day?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Nachi Cocam

Can't say how much they charge currently, but the snorkeling is poor because it is all sand, no cover for fish to hang out in. Great beach, decent food, nice pool, though.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nachi Cocam

I haven't been for a while, but it is not a snorkeling from shore spot to visit. I have a good friend, Joseph, who the last I knew, works there. He said there is a launch that you can take to snorkel a bit further out. I don't know the price, but I'm pretty sure it's still there. Lovely spot Nachi Cocom.

indiana
Level Contributor
483 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nachi Cocam

Thanks for the information!! I knew I would have to pay extra for snorkling but that's ok. I was just trying to get some extra information for the locals. Maybe I need to go to a different beach, I just don't want to go where all the cruise ship people will be even though I will be one of them. I want a good place to hangout to get a tan, have a few drinks, eat lunch and snorkle and not packed. If anyone has any idea's I love to hear them.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Nachi Cocam

I'd recommend heading down to Playa Palancar. Nice beach, good food, typically less crowded, and they offer what I consider to be an excellent boat snorkel tour for $35 pp USD. I did this tour earlier this year and enjoyed it very much. It gets favorable reviews here frequently and IMO rightfully so..

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nachi Cocam

Jax, I was told you need a minimum of four people for the Playa Palancar boat snorkel trip. Was that the case when you went?

Edited: 22 July 2010, 16:09
Texas
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nachi Cocam

Mal Perro and I did that snorkel trip in May. We just showed up in the morning and waited around about 30 minutes while they rustled up 4 more people.

We did the snorkel tour and the other 4 did diving.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nachi Cocam

CoPilot, It was my wife and me, and Mr and Mrs LinksLady. One other guy hopped on board at the last minute, so 5 in total.

indiana
Level Contributor
483 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nachi Cocam

Do you guys think this snorkling trip would be safe for a 8 year old to do? My daughter has never done it and she asked if she could go this time and I told her I would think about it. She practices in the pool all the time with my stuff and but I know the ocean is totally different.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,261 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nachi Cocam

We took it this past January. They require you to wear life jackets, so I would say safe, yes. However if you have more on the tour (we had 10) you do have to keep up with the pace. I would have enjoyed a more leisurely snorkel time. We didn't see much....one turtle and my girls saw a ray. I did see a small shark which was exciting for me. We were with a spanish speaking family and the daughter in their group came up after I had seen the shark and said tiburron (spell check that) which is spanish for shark. I didn't realize anyone else had seen it as I was at the back of the group until we talked back on the boat. Also this was a particularly "jellyfishfull" January trip and the Palancar tour was no exception. We got into jellyfish pretty good and my girls were not pleased. It wasn't that bad, but could make an 8 year old panic a little. I think it was an unusual month for jellyfish as we had never had a problem in the past years of traveling to the area. (One previous sting out of 11 trips.) I actually enjoyed the off shore snorkeling at Palancar though. Saw a huge ball of fish (must have been 500 or so) some starfish, a lobster and some various colorful fish. Enough to keep you interested.

indiana
Level Contributor
483 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nachi Cocam

Thanks, so if I don't let her go out with me she can at least see some fish off shore. We will be there the middle of Nov. not sure if jelly's will be around then but no she wouldn't do well swimming in the middle of them, not sure if I would.