We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling - best tour - 2 teens and their parents

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
192 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling - best tour - 2 teens and their parents

we'll be arriving by cruise ship in august. we want a good, reliable, reasonable and fun tour. any suggestions? the tour guides recommend victor casanova but prefer hearing what you folks have to say.

also, how do you get from the cruise ship to the snorkeling destination?

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling - best tour - 2 teens and their parents

First, if the guides recommend it it probably isn't a good deal. Get off the ship, take a cab to Palancar Beach. Spend the day swimming, and from there you can rent a boat for 30 bucks a person that will take you out to the best snorkelling on the island. It's the best bang for the buck. Every time i go with some other tour i am sorry i did for one reason or another. When returning to your ship, leave early and have the cab driver take you around the island so you can see the East side.

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling - best tour - 2 teens and their parents

I'm assuming that you want this snorkel tour to NOT involve alcohol. Therefore, I also think that the snorkel tour from Playa Palancar is the best offshore snorkel tour for you and your kids. It's about $35pp and lasts 1.5 - 2 hours. They will take you out to Palancar Reef and you will be snorkeling in about 25 - 30 fow. They will have at least one snorkel guide in the water with you too.

They will provide snorkel gear for you, but I'd strongly suggest bringing your own gear(mask/fins/snorkel) with you to make sure that it fits properly so that you can really enjoy the snorkeling.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,702 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling - best tour - 2 teens and their parents

I asked about the Playa Palancar snorkeling last month and my memory is $35 USD per person and a minimum of four people. I suppose they go when they get four people.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling - best tour - 2 teens and their parents

Any tour that takes you to Palancar Reef or to Colombia Shallows (both of those are southern reefs) beats the pants off one that goes to Paradise or Dzul Ha as most operators do. Playa Palancar is the perfect jumping off point for an interesting snorkel via boat. If you want to go from land on your own, just south of Playa Corona and the Faro Celerain ecopark, which has much more than snorkeling would be a good choice. If you rent a car, you can combine Playa Palancar or Faro Celerain with a self-tour of the east side, which is breathtakingly beautiful -- stop often and explore but don't go too far out in the water as there is usually strong undertow.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
192 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling - best tour - 2 teens and their parents

Which boat do you recommend for snorkeling?

How do you find a "reliable" taxi when getting off the cruise ship?

Edited: 24 July 2010, 23:44
ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling - best tour - 2 teens and their parents

All of the taxis are the same and all are reliable. White body - car or van is the same - with red stripe & red number - driver wears white shirt & dark pants.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
192 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling - best tour - 2 teens and their parents

thanks for your help but i am still a bit confused. i would like to make a reservation with a snorkeling outfit that operates out of playa palancar. which outfit do i use? who should i contact?

an important note -- my cruise ship arrives at 1:00pm which is late in the day.

THANKS..sorry if i am overworking this...

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling - best tour - 2 teens and their parents

Just go to the end of the pier and grab a taxi to Playa Palancar. I believe there is only one boat that works out of that beach club and I doubt if you could make a reservation. Just go to the beach club by taxi and look for the boat. If you don't see it, ask the waiter. If for some reason the boat is not working that day, then grab a taxi to another location...Punta Sur (I've heard the reef is further out) or Playa Corona (closer to shore, but I've heard that Punta Sur is better.) When I say, "I've heard", it's from friends I trust and not just some Joe Blow. I used to live on the island but have moved to the mainland three years ago. I like to keep on top of things for when I return for a visit.

Another option would be to google Adelaide. It is a sailboat that will take you snorkeling to Columbia Shallows and Palancar Gardens. If you're lucky they could include El Cielo. If they are not booked for your day, they could give you an awesome tour. Froglegs and Betsy have both recommended them and I have put the Adelaide on my to-do list.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling - best tour - 2 teens and their parents

We used "Snorkel Adventure" Marananthas Fleet of 4 glass bottom boats right at the port in San Miguel. I enjoyed it so much I used them twice (Nov. 09 & July 10) It was $28 pp plus one $2 charge - forget what for..... We did 3 different reefs 2 shallow - one deeper. We saw a huge school of fish, some angel fish, blue tangs, a clown fish, lion fish, bar jacks, grouper, baracuda, eels and sting rays, and jelly fish. We were out for 2.5 - 3 hours. I'm a rookie - so I was thrilled with the variety. I'll look at Palancar next time... I've posted a couple of pics of my 10 & 12 yr old sons snorkelling. Click on my name and then photos to view.

I have their email address if you are interested you can send me a PM.

(This adventure requires no taxis)

This is a cool map of the reef areas.

www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/reefs.html

Enjoy

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling - best tour - 2 teens and their parents

Marty you do NOT need reservations at Playa Palancar. Just show up... they take up to 16 people (max). You won't have any problems getting to and from Playa Palancar.. but do agree with ds2.. when you leave Playa Palancar ask the taxi driver to take you back to the ship via the East side so you can see it.. and if you have time ask him to drop you off at the square and you can get a bite to eat and maybe do some shopping before catching a taxi back to your ship.

Cozumel is VERY safe and taxi's are everywhere.. be sure and ask how much before you get in tho.. just to keep them honest jaja

Mexgringa mentioned the Adelaide but you get in port too late for that.. it leaves at 10:00 or 11:00 a.m. and returns 2 or 3 p.m.

Edited: 25 July 2010, 16:28