We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP!!! El Cozumeleno or Occidental Grand???

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Topic
HELP!!! El Cozumeleno or Occidental Grand???

We have to decide by Wednesday for booking.

I know the Grand is more luxurious but is it worth the extra $1,000 it will cost for 12 nights??

The El Cozumeleno seems to be such a popular resort & we always hear good things about it. We do like it's proximity to town. But which has a better beach to relax on??

How much is a cab from the Grand to town??

Can you have the drinks with ice at each place?

YES, we are confused. We don't mind spending the extra $$$ if it is really worth it.

Thanks for any help

Jackie & Joe

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP!!! El Cozumeleno or Occidental Grand???

Cozumeleno, hands down. A cab round trip for 4 from the OCC will be 35-40 dollars, from El Coz it's 7. Purified ice at both, nice beach at both. The OCC has little ocean view rooms, only the timeshares are ocean view (the front row). Go to El Coz and spend the extra $$ on a deluxe suite, 9th foor views will floor you.

Merry Christmas!

New York City
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP!!! El Cozumeleno or Occidental Grand???

Thanks Antonio,

I really appreciate the input. We have stayed in Playa, Tulum & Cancun many times and loved each one. We want to try something new this summer and we have never stayed on Cozumel.

Definitely seems like the El Cozumeleno will be the place for us. Looks more lively as well which we like.

I actually have another question, does the El Cozumeleno have a gym at all?

Thanks again

Merry Christmas

Jackie

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP!!! El Cozumeleno or Occidental Grand???

Yes, though I would use the words work-out room. What you call gym in the US, is not at El Coz, but they have some nice equipment, it's air conditioned, looks over the pool and ocean, and it's only for grown ups! (sorry kiddies)

Feliz Navidad!!

Merry Christmas!!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
568 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP!!! El Cozumeleno or Occidental Grand???

Gym??? Your on vacation. Take a little time off from the workout, eat, drink relax and get fat. No wait that's my vacation. I'll have to agree with Antonio, the el-coz is the best. We'll be going back for the 5th time to the El-coz for the 5th time next Feb. 3rd. but only for a week. Not 12 days, you lucky dog.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP!!! El Cozumeleno or Occidental Grand???

I agree with billthediver, you are on vacation take long walks on the beach which is no problem if you stay @ El Coz. The workout equipment @ El Coz is not very good unless Wilma washed it away and they get new. Very few dumbbells and one stationary machine that didn't work real smooth. Bring a jumprope or take long walks, jog or just eat & drink, you can do alot of 12oz. curls while you are there just remember to use both arms. Contractor

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP!!! El Cozumeleno or Occidental Grand???

Contractor, that is actually my favorite workout!

But I try not to miss a real workout, even while in Cozumel. It gets your metabolism going and adds quality to all of your activities the rest of the day, even beer drinking.

The El Coz's gym is it's weak point, I even had a hard time finding matching dumbbells.(except when I looked in the mirror)

If you are serious about your workouts, here is some info I copied from a previous post.

"There is Club 65 out on avenida 65. Have a nice gym with AC, free weights. Not crowded. $45 a month with no sign up fee. maybe they have a daypass rate."

tom@hotelflamingo.com

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP!!! El Cozumeleno or Occidental Grand???

Cozbobby- That would take too much effort to go downtown to workout and my wife would want to shop while I was working out so that workout would cost alot more than $45. It would be nice if El Coz would update a little so when you finished your workout you could jump into the ocean and cool off real quick. I will let you know after I come back if they improved the workout room. Will be there from 2/3/06 thru 2/10/06. Can hardly wait for those 7 great nights. Contractor