We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What kind of shape is Cozumel in ?

Port Huron , MI
12 posts
Save Topic
What kind of shape is Cozumel in ?

My girlfriend and I are going to be staying at the El Cozumeleno Beach Resort in April of 2006 and a co-worker of mine brought in a news paper article about a month ago and the story was on Cancun and alot of the beaches were gone and there was concrete where the beaches used to be in front of the resorts due to the hurricane .

I have been to quite a few places and the Rivera Maya is my favorite vacation destination , though I have never been to Cozumel .

Anyways , is there anyone here that knows how much damage Cozumel suffered during the hurricane and what kind of condition the El Cozumeleno is in ? I am also a golfer and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the Cozumel Country Club . The only 2 golf courses I have played in the area are PlayaCar golf course and the 9 hole course in Puerto Aventuras .

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What kind of shape is Cozumel in ?

TA7golfer..trust me..we ALL know how much damage Cozumel has suffered!..but if you are coming in April, your hotel should be better than it ever was before AND (altho not a golfer myself) I hear the golf course is up and running and has been for awhile..you will have a great vacation!!.............Betsy

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What kind of shape is Cozumel in ?

I second that! Hope you will come to Cozumel in April. Things will be in great shape and you will have a wonderful vacation.

Like Betsy, I am not a golfer but hear the golf course is fine now.

Port Huron , MI
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What kind of shape is Cozumel in ?

Thanks Betsy & Robert , I have been viewing a Cozumel photo album and it really looks like it got hit pretty bad by the hurricane . After posting my first post I did some further research and it looks like progress in motion .

One thing that keeps me returning to Mexico is the people . Nice , friendly , and easy going . If anyone can overcome the devestaion that happened there , are the people of Mexico .

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What kind of shape is Cozumel in ?

You are right--the spirit of the people after the hurricane has been amazing. I will give the government credit, their response was swift--the President was here the day after and help arrived almost immediately. The good thing is the people didnt stand around waiting for help--the pitched in and got the recovery started.

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
159 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What kind of shape is Cozumel in ?

When in April will you be there? We're going to be there at the end of April and I have no doubts that it will be ready. The wonderful Antonio has posted pics at this link of Cozumeleno starting around photo 231 in November www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2118380855. From being there previously the main difference was the poor palm trees. They will bring sand in to make up for the beach where needed. From being there the past few years they have always had just a litte bit of ironshore though. I have before pictures that are almost the idential shots/views of the pictures that Antonio too if you would like to see them to compare.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What kind of shape is Cozumel in ?

Hey Golfer-

I'm not a golfer either, but there are some pictures here in Antonio's photo album that show the golf course, and the grass looks very green and trimmed. The beginning of the album is pix of the storm and immediately after. As you get into the higher numbers, you'll see some great progress. I was in Cozumel in November, and the progress was already nothing short of AMAZING! The golf course shots are in there, maybe between 500 and 700... Not exactly sure. I hope Antonio doesn't mind...

www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html…

Have fun in Cozumel!

-Tom

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What kind of shape is Cozumel in ?

My brother and I checked out the golf course for the first time last weekend. It was quite pristine and amazing, though by no means cheap. But it's up and running and looking quite nice.

Mark

Port Huron , MI
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What kind of shape is Cozumel in ?

Thanks for the info about the golf course .

I will be there easter week Laura .

Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What kind of shape is Cozumel in ?

Iam not sure what these people are talking about, I was there just two days ago on a cruise, that place is a mess, every hotel on the sea side is destroyed. Most of the resturants are closed and gone. I did not go and see the golf course, so I cannot comment on it. I really was depressed over the site and feel sorry for the people there.

NY
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What kind of shape is Cozumel in ?

how do the people living there or just returning feel about this post and how true is it?

Iam not sure what these people are talking about, I was there just two days ago on a cruise, that place is a mess, every hotel on the sea side is destroyed. Most of the resturants are closed and gone. I did not go and see the golf course, so I cannot comment on it. I really was depressed over the site and feel sorry for the people there.