We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drift snorkel

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
882 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
drift snorkel

Hi! I did a search of "drift snorkel" and see that the current generally runs south to north, with one exception. We're thinking of staying at Wyndham on southern end. Was thinking it would be fun to jump in and snorkel from shore, drift for a crazy long wonderful time, then hop out and get a cab to take us back to the hotel. I see from the mapchick map that there are plenty of reefs on the southwest part of the island. Of course, one issue for the cab driver would be that we will be wet! Any ideas if this is possible, and where to hop in and hop out? Thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,440 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drift snorkel

Been there, done that but the current took me north, and I walked back (at least twice) Also walked down to the Allegro (it was called the Diamond then) and drifted back 2 or 3 times too, and frankly there wasn't much to enjoy along the way. All of that was pre Wilma & there was more coral in the shallows, but very little actually existed then so there sure won't be much now. There's a lot more housing to the north these days so picking an exit point may be more difficult, but when I did this I drifted almost to Chankanaab before just getting out at an undeveloped area that I had snorkeled at on a previous trip.

In general cabs pick up wet divers & snorkelers without batting an eye, and most have vinyl seats or blankets over the seat cover etc & once you get out the seat must dry off pretty quickly. I've had many cabs offer me a ride just after exiting the water..

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
882 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drift snorkel

Great, thanks. I'm a little concerned about finding a place to hop out where there cabs would be. Sounds like you didn't find much to enjoy. Any other opinions if this is worth trying?

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drift snorkel

You could go down south and doing this without the hotel being the entry point. For instance, you could have a cab drop you off south of Fiesta Americana somewhere and drift back to the Money Bar for a cab ride home. The road there follows the waters edge for a long way and you can pick your spot to get in. The snorkelling is as good as shore snorkelling gets in that area, and catching a cab from the bar should be pretty easy.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,440 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drift snorkel

I agree with the above idea. You could get in just on the north side of Chankanaab & drift north as far as the Presidenté BUT NO FURTHER, or do any section of that zone with way better results than from the Wyndham north until you get near Chankanaab, with the Corona Beach section being the exception. Most of that I saw was a grassy bottom in that zone. I'd also recommend towing a diver down buoy for safety, and wear T shirts for sun protection.

Edited: 01 October 2010, 20:46
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drift snorkel

I may be wrong but i thought a heard that the Money bar had lockers? If so you could even stop there on the way and drop off clothes/money/dry stuff to have when you get back.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,440 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drift snorkel

Yes, they do have them (prices shown are pesos not dollars). and the photo was taken in Feb 2009 so prices should be close if not exactly the same.

…google.com/CozumelTimeCapsules/TheMoneyBar#…

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
882 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: drift snorkel

Great! Thanks. I searched for photos of both the Money Bar and the Presidente so we might recognize them from the water. I guess any large palapa would do when we are tired. We will dive in the morning, so I am anticipating just doing lazy snorkeling in the afternoon. Would it be easier or better to just get a cab to Punta Sur (again staying at the Wyndham) and snorkel there? I understand you can pay a guy with a kayak, but is it possible to just kick out? We always tow a dive flag and wear wet suit for sun protection. Would a cab driver know where to drop us to snorkel Punta Sur? How much to tip the kayak man? Thanks a bunch!

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: drift snorkel

Yeah. you can just kick out. The time we did it the current really tired us out.

Yeah. the cab driver will know where to take you...to the park. Don't know if they'll drop you at the entrance or drive you into it.

If I was you I'd just do the easy drift snorkel to Money Bar or Presidente.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,440 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: drift snorkel

Photos & links back to trip reports on just about everything you've asked are here.

www.picasaweb.google.com/CozumelTimeCapsules

Enjoy, but in return you have to write one when you get home.

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
882 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: drift snorkel

I studied Larry's photos so hopefully I'll remember the landmarks. This is distilling into 2 options:

1) Snorkel south to north, from north of Chankanaab (maybe Uva's beach club?) going as far north as Presidente. This would include the Fiesta American to Money Bar leg

2) Snorkel from the Coral Princess to Club Cozumel Caribe, use their climbing wall if they are still open and accept wet money. Just realized would have to have tevas jammed into our dive flag float.

Sounds like a go unless someone has another opinion or veto.

Thanks again, will report back if we don't just take naps all afternoon!