We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

del sur empanadas

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
colorado
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
del sur empanadas

We are planning on ordering from Te Lo Llevamos and would like to have the various empanadas delivered. How big are they? Are they just appetizers? Trying to figure out how many we need.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: del sur empanadas

You'll really be missing out if you don't go to the restaurant, meet Rene, enjoy the empanadas fresh & hot from their oil and try some of the other items on Del Sur's new Parilla menu, which includes shareable salads. The new location is a beautiful, relaxed and comfortable place to dine.

The empanadas are small -- 3 or 4 bites each -- and generously stuffed with very flavorful fillings -- a few satisfy and there is a tendency for people to order too many. Best strategy is to order some, eat them, and order more if you want. Be sure to save room for a dessert empanada, too!

Chicago Illinois
Level Contributor
479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: del sur empanadas

We did the same thing when we were there in Sept. There were 3 adults, and we ordered 12 empanadas, which included 3 dessert empanadas. We ended up having 3 left over for the next day. They were hot when they were delivered, and the delivery took a total of about 40 minutes.

When you order, ask them to include the description of the different types of empanadas, or you will be guessing which is which! Rene has a paper with a drawing of each type of empanada, as their crimped edges are different for each type.

I agree with ds2 that they are better in the restaurant, but sometimes it is easier to just stay home! I am anxious to see his new place, and try one of those salads! Enjoy, no matter what you decide to do!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,496 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: del sur empanadas

Has Rene's new location opened now? How is it? We went by there in August and it looked like it was close to opening, but still needed some spit and polish.

The hieroglyphics as to what each empanada contains is amusing.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,447 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: del sur empanadas

As DS2 says, the new place is opened and very nice. The empanadas are great but I am not there often because I always get my empanadas in my neighborhood places.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: del sur empanadas

We were there twice in the last week Mark, the place is gorgeous, especially compared to his old place. We have ordered them to go and eaten them at the restaurant, and as DS2 said, the ambiance and graciousness of Rene are hard to top, oh and the empanadas are awesome! I generally eat 3 regular and one desert empanada and I am stuffed.

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: del sur empanadas

Where is Rene now? Addy por favor :)

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: del sur empanadas

Corner Ave. 5 & Calle 3 in the building that formerly housed Le Chic Boutique then Coldwell Banker -- across the street from Puro Mar Surf Shop.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,496 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: del sur empanadas

Thank you Deb and Brian. The reason I asked if it was open was that during the relocation, there had been a couple of posts about his new place being open. As I mentioned in my previous post, when we went by, it wasn't open. (We all know how construction projects start and stop on the island. Take Rolandi's, for example.)

Robert, what local's places do you buy your empanadas?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,447 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: del sur empanadas

Dont know where to start in telling where I buy empanadas---so many good places in the colonias. And if they have names, I dont know it. Of course, I enjoy them on back patio at Casa Denis and while I dont consider Casa Denis to really be a local place, the back patio is .

Tres Patitos at 30 and 15 is a popular local stop for empanadas. We often go to another on 5 between 15 and 20 -- may have a name, but I dont know it. They also sell excellent homemade cakes and sweet bread at the adjacent storefront.

But, as I said, delicious empanadas can be found in most neighborhoods. One neighborhood place serves camote (sweet potato) and cocunut empanadas --delciious.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: del sur empanadas

"One neighborhood place serves camote (sweet potato) and cocunut empanadas --delciious." Please keep that one to yourself -- I don't have the will power to avoid the extra pounds those would bring -- camote and coconut are two of my favorite things!