We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel with good beach, nice pool and close to twon

denver
Level Contributor
192 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
hotel with good beach, nice pool and close to twon

Hi everyone - Our family is trying to book a trip to Cozumel in December and half the family scubas, the other half shops, sits by the pool walks along the beach and occasionally snorkles. I am having a difficult time selecting a hotel. From what I'm reading in the ads and forum, some hotels are advertised as beachfront but they are actually across the street from the beach. In addition, even though they say beachfront, I get the impression from the reviews that the beaches are rocky and/or unswimmable or unstrollable?

Can any one recommend a hotel or an area of cozumel where the beaches are fairly sandy, where there is a large swimming pool (with bar service), is close to a scuba shop and town? We like to walk to town or just taxi a short distance to shop/explore. We're interested in more of an upscale environment since we only get away every few years. Thanks for any help you can provide. Pat

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel with good beach, nice pool and close to twon

Check out Playa Azul.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel with good beach, nice pool and close to twon

Also consider El Cozumeleno and Melia although I doubt that either is "upscale."

Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel with good beach, nice pool and close to twon

First let me tell you that I grew up going to Florida on vacations and LOVED it. Walking for miles on the beach. However, we fell in love with Cozumel and the Cozumel Palace. What it lacks in beach it makes up for- the amazing water and snorkling right off the shore. They have sand in a man-made beach on each side. We've been to Playacar & Cancun which have more beach but the water was so rough we had black flags (no swimming)up every day we were there. They have a dive shop on-site or other operators will pick you up at their dock. You can walk easily to town or a $5 cab ride and the sidewalk is right next to the water so you still walk along side the water. They offer free trips to beaches and snorkling. The food and service is great. You don't need reservations at the restaurants and three are air conditioned. They have a two tiered pool so you can go to the quieter one and there is a swim up bar and bar service all around the pool area. They also have free calls to the states. For the shoppers you have to go to Los Cinco Soles original store, we take the cab there and shop our way back to hotel. It isn't a real good hotel for kids in my opinion as there are not many there.

denver
Level Contributor
192 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel with good beach, nice pool and close to twon

Thank you for your replies, I'll start pricing and getting airfare booked.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel with good beach, nice pool and close to twon

Here is a source of pictures to assess the beach status (ironshore versus sand):

cancunmap.com/assist/cozumel_hotel_locator.h…

Melia is Paradisus in that link

Cozumel Palace is Plaza las Glorias.

Most if not all the pictures are pre-Wilma so some hotel/amenities physical changes should be assumed.

Edited: 08 October 2010, 20:47
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel with good beach, nice pool and close to twon

The Plaza las Glorias picture is not valid. Look at the Costa Club (Now Hotel Cozumel unless they changed the name again recently) to get a feel for the material at the waters edge.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel with good beach, nice pool and close to twon

Although there is a very nice long sandy beach between the area where the Wyndham is located all the way to a bit south of the Iberostar the sand is very soft, which makes walking along it strenuous compared to what we normally expect.

You might find comment # 9 helpful here.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k39657…

And this might be helpful too.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k39596…

North Carolina
Level Contributor
557 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel with good beach, nice pool and close to twon

"Can any one recommend a hotel or an area of cozumel where the beaches are fairly sandy, where there is a large swimming pool (with bar service), is close to a scuba shop and town? We like to walk to town or just taxi a short distance to shop/explore. We're interested in more of an upscale environment"

The Cozumel Palace has all you desire minus the sandy beach. All the beaches are south of San Miguel.

Cheers!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel with good beach, nice pool and close to twon

"All the beaches are south of San Miguel."

Incorrect.

10. Re: hotel with good beach, nice pool and close to twon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2011, 07:23