We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather system worth watching

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,853 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Weather system worth watching

Looks like another system is developing that "may" impact the area.

It is currently named Invest 98 and its projected path as shown on Wunderground is here:

wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201098_…

You can read the insight by Dr Jeff masters here:

wunderground.com/blog/…

What I get from it is that there is still uncertainty on its path and if it will become a tropical depression.

A NHC link that shows the system and possible development is here:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo_atl.shtml

Their discussion is as follows:

1. Satellite imagery and surface observations indicate that the area of Low pressure located just off the coast near the border of Nicaragua and honduras has become better defined this morning. An Air force reserve hurricane hunter aircraft is en route to Investigate the system to determine if a tropical depression has Formed. There is a high chance...80 percent...of this system Becoming a tropical cyclone during the next 48 hours as it moves West-northwestward to northwestward at around 10 mph. If a tropical Cyclone forms...tropical storm watches and/or warnings would be Required for portions of the coast of honduras...belize...and the Yucatan peninsula of mexico. Regardless of development...heavy Rainfall is possible over portions of nicaragua...honduras...the Cayman islands...belize...and the yucatan peninsula during the next Couple of days.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,580 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather system worth watching

...and if one continues to read the blog, it would appear that this year's hurricane predictions, like last year's predictions and the year before that will need to be revised downward to reflect lack of real hurricane activity in the US.

Nothing like being able to be correct 25% of the time and still keep your job. I want some of that action.

I'm still laughing over the Labor Day hysteria in the Outer Banks of NC. I loved it when Jim Cantore of the Weather Channel was standing next to a sign that had obviously fallen down years ago.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,685 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather system worth watching

Mostly the same information on this site but I like the graphics:

http://www.stormpulse.com/

New York
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather system worth watching

It is TS, Paula

wunderground.com/blog/…

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather system worth watching

From what I'm seeing on the weather channel, they are predicting it to be a hurricane by tomorrow. I always love it when they're wrong though. It's always hard to see our friends in Coz have to go through the hardships during these hard times, whether it be hurricanes, or "flu scares." It's very, very hard for them to recover. But one thing I've always noticed is they keep going and working very hard and never seem to lose the faith.

Madison
Level Contributor
82 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather system worth watching

So, possibly a stupid question..........80mph winds, how often does Cozumel get hit with this and how much damage does it normally cause?

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather system worth watching

What happens is determined by many other factors in addition to absolute wind speed: Position of the storm relative to the island, direction or directions from which it's blowing and the length of time it persists, the size and strength of waves crashing at the shore, the amount of rainfall and the length of time it rains, as well as timely and appropriate preparations to protect life and property during and after the storm.

The most recent forecast track puts this relatively compact storm well offshore and the NHC shows a low probability of hurricane force winds here. Can't say anyone's looking forward to a storm but everyone knows what needs to be done. Some preparation has begun, though you wouldn't know it if you were walking around town -- people are out having a nice evening as usual. Unless there's a really big change -- like Paula intensifies to a cat 3 or more and hits us directly -- Cozumel will be OK.

Edited: 12 October 2010, 03:35
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,580 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather system worth watching

Anyone seen Jim Cantore on the island? I'm sure he is on his way.

Maybe he could go to the East side and talk about the big waves and rip currents. (Don't tell him that happens all the time.)

8. Re: Weather system worth watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2011, 05:21