We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the fire sale?

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where is the fire sale?

In booking my trip I'm finding no deals from hotels and my dive shop has actually raised it's prices. I was expecting some sale prices to attract customers back to Cozumel after the hurricane. It really seems weird to me that they just had a natural disaster and there are zero incentives for people to come have their vacation there amid the reconstruction.

Maybe the cruise ships bring in so many people that a fire sale isn't necessary. But from what returning divers and Betty sez that isn't so.

Ok, I'm coming down to Cozumel anyway because I think the diving will still be good, the food will still be excellent and because I want to spend my vacation money in Cozueml when they need it the most. But that's just me and perhaps several handfuls of other veterans. The whole rest of the world and particularly first time visitors are not going to choose the scene of a recent natural disaster for a vacation without incentive to do so when there are a thousand other places to go that haven't had a natural disaster. That's just common sense. On the other hand people flock to fire sales.

If a tornado hit Disneyland tickets are going to be half price for a while, and the next thing you know, everything is back to normal.

Just wondering why this hasn't seemed to occur to even one hotel or dive shop. A full hotel or dive boat costs as much to operate as a 3/4 empty one, so when the going gets rough why not make fast nickels instead slow dimes?

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the fire sale?

Toadfish, there are some great deals out there right now, but it's not available from Boise.

Worry Free is running their fiesta and siesta sale right now. Enter the promo code WF6161 and you will receive 10% off your total package for travel to Mexico.

The airfare goes down at midnight Monday thru midnight Thursday. I have noticed that 2 out of the last 4 weeks, the airfare drops even further from midnight Wednesday to Midnight Thursday.

The hotel prices basically stay the same, but you save money by finding the package hotel/charter air deals with a discount promo code.

Example:

Two adults, air and hotel, out of D/FW to Cozumel, from February 3-10, staying at Casa Mexicana Cozumel, would be $1127.57, that's including taxes and all fees. For an AI such as El Cozumeleno it would be $1858.49.

If you check again after midnight on wednesday, those prices will go down even further.

So if you have some FF miles saved up, fly on down to D/FW and get a great deal.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the fire sale?

As far as the hotels not lowering their prices, it is pure speculation, but perhaps it is because of pressure from the Mexico National Hotel Association.

Here is a November 10th quote by Association President Pablo Azcarraga, as reported by Reuters:

"Hotel bookings in the region -- which brings in around a third of Mexico's tourism income -- stand at 35-40 percent in December, compared with 90 percent in a normal year.

Insurers have estimated damages from Hurricane Wilma at around $1.4 billion and hotel owners expect further losses from holiday cancellations. Hotels will not be offering discounts to lure tourists back, however."

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the fire sale?

I don't want to sound grumpy, but you could find that kind of 'deal' to almost any tourist destination any old time. And good airfare from Texas to Cozumel has long been commonplace, half the divers I meet down there are Texans who like torture me by discribing the deals they got.

While I would'nt complain if my hotel or dive shop gave 10% off (instead of the 10% increase)....that is by no means my definition of a fire sale and I don't think that would be enough to kick start Cozumel's economy. Again put yourself in the place of someone who has never been to Cozueml shopping vacation destinations. But doesn't it seem weird to you that we are not even seeing that as an effort to get things rolling again? I would think this was something to do with the Mexican culture except so many of the businesses are owned by immigrants.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the fire sale?

I agree toadfish, good deals have always been commonplace in Texas. I have been monitoring prices on MLT and Funjet for over 10 years, and the prices now, with the promos and discounts, are slightly lower than prices in the past for this time of year. In fact they are comparable to September prices which is generally the cheapest month.

I do understand and agree with your point though. I offered a possible explanation at exactly the same time you posted again.

Another possible explanation would be the business law of supply and demand. Although the demand is low, the supply would be even lower with so many of the hotels being closed still. That would mean higher prices.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the fire sale?

I have my doubts that the hotels that are open are packed. So I think your first explanation makes the most sense, otherwise someone would have discounted prices by now.

Still that doesn't explain the dive shops.

Ya know, people are always poised for a fire sale and a 30% discount on hotels would have benefited every business on the island, and would get things back to normal the quickest. It's just the way things are done. I would certainly expect huge discounts in New Orleans right now. You gotta wonder if this isn't a case of some powerful folks creating their own fire sale for Cozumel business property.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the fire sale?

Hotels and dive shops offering discounts would not fix the problem of the airlines, who have been playing shell games with flights to CZM and CUN since Wilma. So while I agree that temporarily lowering prices for diving, accomodations, and other services would entice people to come, they would still encounter big time difficulty getting there. Things are getting back closer to normal with the airlines now, but it's been nothing short of a circus since Wilma.

-Tom

Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the fire sale?

I was told by the dive shop we used last week that they were booked solid for another week or two, then they have nothing. I think everyone was rushing down there during the holidays while they had some vacation time and the hotels and dive shops were pretty full. But now that the holidays have ended, there is going to be a downturn in the numbers of tourists for a while. When that happens, they may have to lower prices. Just my opinion.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the fire sale?

Exactly Dartef, I usually can find a good airfare from Denver in January which I assumed was because most people spent money on Christmas presents that a vacation to Coz was not in the budget. Your explanation may be more correct.

January in Cozumel is great.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is the fire sale?

One final thought, did anyone notice their electric or gas bill this month. Mine was $595 compared to $435 for the same month last year. Oil and gas prices are up all over the world. Boats use gas. Prices are going up on everything everywhere, why would you think it would be any different in Cozumel. I personally would not want to take advantage of this natural disaster, make that two natural disasters, and expect a discount.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
600 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is the fire sale?

Airfare has always been a problem to this island and it is even worse now as flights have been cut due lack of large hotels open. It is a difficult island to do business on. Things are controlled here by the five familes that have all the money and power. So, I do not expect to see much in the way of price cutting. When it gets to that point, it is almost better to close the business for a year and wait for things to get better. This way you do not have the high overhead costs of the operation to cover. My situation is such that we are one of the few hotels open. You would assume that is great and that I should be full, but even if I cut my room rates, people would still not come with the high airfare. People do not want to be inconvenienced by flying into Cancun either. I just put 40k into remodeling my place before the hurricane. So, that is the situation. If there is to be any promotional programs, the mexican government needs to start implementing something because in the end, they are the ones losing out on the tax revenue. There was lots of talk after the hurricane, but I have seen nothing yet.