We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical Storm (possible hurricane) Paula

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tropical Storm (possible hurricane) Paula

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCMAT3+shtml/112031.shtml

"The government of Mexico has issued a hurricane warning for the

Coast of Mexico from Punta Gruesa northward to Cancun ...including Cozumel."

The current forecast path has it nearest Cozumel roughly around 2 PM Wednesday IF the path remains as shown here:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/203114.shtml?5-daynl#contents

I checked several airline websites and saw no mention of it on the main website page. That may change on Tuesday if this system continues as predicted tonight.

Obviously you can read more details on the NHC website, http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/ or your favorite weather website.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical Storm (possible hurricane) Paula

Just when we were thinking we dodged the bullet this year...

If this Paula stays on it's course it will be on top of us as a Cat.1 or 2 Wednesday morning, we are on full alert, Tuesday morning if there's no change we'll be kicking into full gear for 24hrs.

Granted a Cat. 1 barely tickles Cozumeleños after Wilma, but still, it could go as far as 3 before getting here, so it's a serious thing.

It sux...

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical Storm (possible hurricane) Paula

Batton down the hatches! Hope all is turns out well...

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical Storm (possible hurricane) Paula

Though most have all necessary supplies at the ready, there's much work left today to prepare for this.

Tourists: Please be patient with hotel managers, excursion ops, etc. today and please follow any instructions or recommendations that you receive from people in official positions. If any of you needs something or wants to move inland or merely wants to talk, feel free to contact me and I will do my best for you.

Fellow residents: Too bad that Norte didn't end the season! Good luck and keep in touch.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical Storm (possible hurricane) Paula

Currently Paula is a Cat 1 hurricane and the possible/projected path is still near the Cozumel area.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/083414.shtml?5-daynl#contents

I checked several airline websites and did not see any obvious travel advisories relative to Paula. If I were traveling Wednesday, maybe even Thursday, I would check the status of the flight.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
925 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical Storm (possible hurricane) Paula

In Cozumel now staying with friends who are out taking 2 of their 3 boats out of the water and securing the third for the hurricane. Crew members are waiting in line for gas and I am taking the garden decorations down and bringing in the patio furniture at the house. Looks like the storm will hit late tonight. Off to Mega a little later to stock up. Lets hope it passes quickly!

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical Storm (possible hurricane) Paula

Scubababe - Be sure to get to Mega before they sell out of booze!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
925 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical Storm (possible hurricane) Paula

Already stopped at the duty free in Dallas!! Hope to see you this week.

Cozumel, Mexico
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical Storm (possible hurricane) Paula

Thank you very much for your posts keeping others updated for hurricane Paula. We are supposed to be coming to Cozumel Sunday Oct 17th for our honeymoon. Do you think we should reschedule and come another time or do you think it will have passed by Sunday?

Thanks,

Carlotta

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropical Storm (possible hurricane) Paula

Carlotta, from what I read it should be well gone by then. If you look at the link that shows the projected path, it may veer away from the area by about Thursday. What happens then is less certain. Some discussion suggests that it weakens.

I personally would not cancel at this time. Just monitor for a day or so.

Antonio, Deb and others should be able to provide updates. My guess is that there will be minimal disruption and I have seen (Alicia in 2005) any cleanup progress very rapidly. You may have a hard time telling that there was a hurricane (if it stays on the current projected path) by the time you get there.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropical Storm (possible hurricane) Paula

It will have passed by Sunday but no telling what kind of flooding or wind damage there might be. I would reschedule if I were you. You just never know. TURN PAULA... TURN!!