We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cozumel problems with co in scuba tanks

Waverly, Ohio
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cozumel problems with co in scuba tanks

We are planning a trip to cozumel over Thanksgiving holiday and have noticed on several forums that the co problem is still ongoing. Pkease ad updates.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cozumel problems with co in scuba tanks

I have not heard of any issues lately, on this board, scubaboard, tony romes board or any of the others, nor did I hear of any issues while I was there a couple of weeks ago.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
451 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cozumel problems with co in scuba tanks

I was there in August and no issues then. Much more concerned with poor o-rings on the tanks.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,219 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cozumel problems with co in scuba tanks

There was a problem within recent years somewhere south of town. My recollection was that it was a vehicle running near the compressor building.

Can you provide a link to any recent discussion of a possible problem?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cozumel problems with co in scuba tanks

The single incident of carbon monoxide in tanks was investigated, found to have been a one-time incident, and measures were taken to prevent it in the future. All of the affected divers are OK. That was some time ago. And, as far as I know, there haven't been any problems since.

There is a poster at Scubaboard who champions the use of CO testers for divers. A few follow his advice and most find the idea way too expensive and unnecessary -- especially people who travel to established Caribbean dive destinations like Cozumel.

As the compressors here are tested regularly and are found clean, and as the one incident in the last 40+ years was due to a truck idling behind a compressor during a single fill session, there is no ongoing bad air issue here.

5. Re: cozumel problems with co in scuba tanks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2011, 07:15