We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum or Kohunlich ruins??

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Tulum or Kohunlich ruins??

I'm going on a cruise with RC in jaunuary and have an option to either do tulum or kohunlich ruins if any one has been to both which do you think is better?? I know they are at different ports but I was looking at the amazing secret river tour in Cozumel instead of Tulum which would mean i would do the Kohunlich ruins as i want to see atleast one mayan site but i just cant decide... Tulum looks so beautiful but the river tour looks great aswell..... do i sacrifice Tulum for teh river tour and see kohunlich instead?? HELP please :(

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum or Kohunlich ruins??

This is an easy one for me as I have a friend that has been to both. There is not a lot to do in Costa Maya (Beach Club, Ruins), and they weren’t impressed at all with anything else. Lots of sea grass near the waters edge, but the water was clear and you could see the fish if you chose to snorkel. So with that said, he really enjoyed the Kohunlich ruins, and found this is the one port where you could miss the port itself and not feel like you were slighted. Do the ruins here, and enjoy Cozumel and a good snorkeling trip out to Planacar Reef. If you don’t want to snorkel, take advantage of Cozumels beauty and rent a vw convertible and tour the east side of the island. A few really neat Bars, restaurants, and remote beaches

on this side. Read more on the east side in this forum, but it’s a lot of fun.

You could still easily make it around the island, and enjoy the people, shops and what have you once you back into town.

Tulum is a very long ways, and although it is beautiful on the beach, its very hot, and you cant climb the ruins themselves. Also, like I said, Costa Maya is the better chance to do this tour anyways.

Hope you enjoy, and let us know your outcome. We will be glad to help you once you have figured out your decision.

Thanks

Art

P.S. Below is a description of Kohunlich ruins, sounds great!

"Kohunlich, Dzibanche and Oxtankah make up one of the largest concentrations of archaeological sites located in the southern part of Quintana Roo. Just a few hours south on Hwy 307 will bring you to the Lake Bacalar area. Most of the ruins in southern Quintana Roo are located south of there. Bring a new guidebook with you for specific directions. The jungle is lush and alive with exotic birds and wildlife."

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum or Kohunlich ruins??

Agree with Newkie, Kohunlich is beautiful, late husband and I toured here 5 years ago while staying in Lake Bacalar for two nights, we got there shortly after they opened and had the place all to ourselves and was able to climb a little bit also.

Morton, Illinois
Level Contributor
150 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum or Kohunlich ruins??

Is water temperature an issue in January?? Like many, we would like to go to one of the ruins at one port and snorkel at the other. I appreciate the advice given above and if the water will be equally comfortable off of Cozumel then we can tour Kohunlich when we head south.

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum or Kohunlich ruins??

Thanks so much for your help... were gonna do kohunlich. cozumel has this beautiful underwater caves thing that we found so probably do that instead of tulumI, plus i looked into the sites a bit more and yeah tulum is beautiful but kohunlich seems more authentic which is the whole point!! so thanks again you guys helped alot! :) and i dont think water temp is an issue as its so close to the equator but i could be wrong!! any one else??

Edited: 21 October 2010, 00:33
cozumel
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum or Kohunlich ruins??

Another vote for Kohunlich (so I'm glad that is your decision!)..........it's far more "mystical" than Tulum with all the tourist buses........I've been to both several times, so good choice!........have fun!

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum or Kohunlich ruins??

You'll have a wonderful time...safe travels. You know the river thing is on the mainland right? Try to squeeze in some Cozumel snorkeling. A few tours are best done thru a tour guide but most things are easily done on your own for ALOT less money. You'll pay the highest price, booking anything thru the cruise lines.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulum or Kohunlich ruins??

Secreto or whichever is on the mainland like you said froglegs, I wasnt even thinking about that when I posted. I did Rio Secreto http://www.riosecretomexico.com/

and it was great. The one thing though is if I had the choice of snorkeling at Planacar Reef and snorkeling/swimming at Rio Secreto or any of the cenotes on the mainland, I would do the Planacar reef with the time restraint of cruise ships and the beauty of Cozumel Island. You will already be on the mainland with your cruise stop of Costa Maya, why not enjoy being surrounded by crystal clear water.

Art

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulum or Kohunlich ruins??

Good idea Newkie, but would you learn to spell Palancar, please?.........not Planacar, just fyi.........hahha.........thanks.

9. Re: Tulum or Kohunlich ruins??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2011, 06:17