We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very Interesting Article on TA

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Very Interesting Article on TA

This would be a nightmare to Hotel owners:

…msn.com/id/39799954/ns/travel-travel_tips/

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very Interesting Article on TA

In my opinion it's a needed adjustment to re thinking the accepting of reviews without proof of travel, & proof of an actual stay. Long overdue

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very Interesting Article on TA

how would this be a nightmare to hotel owners? I think TA is in a loose loose situation. Anyone can post a review including reasonable people all the way to people with serious mental disorders. Probably inevitable that some reviews will be, shall we say......poorly written. People seeking advice range from seasoned travellers to people that really shouldnt be travelling. Properties range in quality and emenities across the world widely. What is acceptable in one culture is not in another culture. TA will be at the center of controversy as long as it is around.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very Interesting Article on TA

Apparently, you are not a Hotel owner. Like the article states, "refund me 100 bucks or I will post a negative review" That was what I was referring to.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very Interesting Article on TA

very interesting article. Overall TA is great I think. I've found it enormously helpful not only for Coz but several other destinations. But you have to know how to use it. The plants are obvious I think. You look for patterns as the article states and throw out most extremes.

One feature that I find surprising in that so few business owners use it. That is the managerial response to negative reviews. I am always impressed by management at hotels that respond to TA reviews, perhaps suggesting a misunderstanding, or regrets and promises at getting better, or just thanks for the good reviews. It shows they give a darn and are committed to quality. For me, it shows they really want my business and I'm far more open to giving them a try as a result. But I rarely see it used.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very Interesting Article on TA

Mark, that's not as easy to do as it should be. I tried to help a manager of one of the resorts in getting his side of a blackmail review onto the same page as the review but he eventually gave up due to the hoops he needed to jump through in order to be recognized by TA as the resort manager. In the early days of the site it seemed a lot easier for management to get registered but that's no longer the case based on my experience, & what I've read at the HUMTAB area. It's way too easy for the general public to post ringers & blackmail style messages disguised as reviews.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very Interesting Article on TA

agree with your last statement for sure and a difficult issue to fix for TA without the compromising the value the site offers. But in terms of what you say about management not being able to easily respond to these reviews, that is disappointing and a real flaw in the system that needs to be addressed.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,423 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very Interesting Article on TA

The blackmail can work the other way too--I just returned from a trip to Isla Mujeres and a dive shop there was going to send us a DVD of our dives but balked after reading my trip reports. Without coming out and saying so, it was clear from their emails that they were waiting for me to publish a retraction before sending the DVD. Last night I submitted my review. I can assure you there will be no DVD on its way to us.

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
8. Re: Very Interesting Article on TA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2011, 06:16