We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip

new jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip

we will be in PDC for a week in Jan. plan on doing a day trip to cozumel. Anyone have advice on what to do, what to avoid, any good restaurants for lunch? Should we rent a car, or hire a cab?

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
816 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip

Rent a car from Rentadora Isis and explore the Eastside of the island. Many beach restaurants/bars to have lunch on the eastside. Chen Rio, Coconuts, and Freedom in Paradise would be good choices on the Eastside for lunch.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip

Don't drink and drive.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
597 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip

I second ISIS for car rental. We are regular vistors to Cozumel and have used them a couple times. Nice lady.

La Mission is my favorite sit down restaurant - in town, excellent service, great food, nice quaint ambiance, and decent prices. I DON'T care for Palmeras on the boardwalk - everything is ala carte. If I ordered pancakes and say, hashbrowns, I got served two different full size breakfast plates.

If you don't mind a hole in the wall atmosphere, El Foco has excellent tacos and Azteca soup to die for (tortilla soup). Prices are reasonable. Be careful if ordering alcohol, that's where they get you. For example, pitchers of margaritas are not cheap.

Definitely explore the other side of the island, but do so early in the day as everything closes down at dusk. Head south out of town, you can stop at Chedraui along the way (just sorth of Punta Langosta shopping mall) to pick up anything you may need in terms of snacks, water, disposable ice cooler, etc. It's like a mini-walmart. Stay on the main road, you can't get lost.

You can stop at San Francisco beach. Nice amenties including public showers. Or, stop at Mr. Sanchos beach club. Beautiful beaches over there.

Stop at Coconuts on the bluff for lunch or a drink - I highly recommend. Fresh caught seafood, great guacamole, and the best views on the island.

There are also ATV tours by Mescalitos where middle island road intersects, but you'd probably have to book in advance.

The road goes around the island, and meets up with Middle Island Road. Stop at the mom and pop shops along the way. Stop at the tequila tour on the way back to town via Middle Island Road. San Gervasio ruins can also be accessed via middle island road. Stop at PEMEX to gas up before you head back to town.

Avoid: The dog on middle island road that likes to chase passing vehicles.

Have dinner at La Mission in San Miguel, explore the town and then catch your ferry back to PDC.

Have fun. I'm jealous.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip

We just returned home from PDC a week ago and also did a day trip to Cozumel. We ordered a map of Cozumel from mapchick.com and it was really helpful driving around the island. We also rented from ISIS. It was $42 and included insurance. There was a smaller car for $35.

We spent a few hours at San Francisco Beach Club. It was way more crowded than the last time we were there. What I liked was that the water was very calm, great drinks and food. For me the lounge chairs were a little too close together, and the music was very loud -- I must just be getting too old! After a while we got used to the music. The service was excellent.

We drove around to the other side of the island - so beautiful and natural - rough surf. We stopped at Chen Rio to swim in the natural pool. It's surrounded by rocks which keep the rough surf out. Then we continued on to Mezcalitos for lunch and then back to town to return our rental car and do a little shopping before getting the ferry back to Cozumel.

There are little carts close to the ferry dock that sell Churros -- they are delicious.

5. Re: Day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2011, 06:20