We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Cozumel?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ashley, North Dakota
3 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Cozumel?

This site is great, I have gotten so many good replies, It makes me feel so much better to hear from people that have been there. We have a family of five, two teenagers, we want a big resort with alot of activites, and all inclusive. Teens eat alot. We want to snorkel, try diving and zip lines. Any suggestion. Also, which resorts are on the side with the bad waves and rip tides?

Texas
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Cozumel?

We are condo people, but we did a day pass at El Cozumeleno and i think that would be just right for your family. And it is just a short taxi ride into town....

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,737 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Cozumel?

All but one of the hotels are on the "safer water" west side of the island.

Also look at Melia, Allegro, Occidental Grand and Iberostar,.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Cozumel?

http://www.xplor.travel/ would be a lot of fun for your family and it is a short ferry and taxi ride from the pier on the mainland. As for the rough water on Cozumel, as was said, the east side tends to be rough, the west side smooth as ice, which is where all the resorts/hotels are located. One hotel on the east side which would not be my choice with kids.

Have fun, and remember to get to the mainland at least for a day trip to either do Ruins, Zip lining, or Cenotes.

Thanks

Art

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Cozumel?

There are some ziplines on the island but they aren't very good. There are good ones on the mainland as stated. Check Cozumel Palace...nice place, close to town and good food.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Cozumel?

What do you like? A hotel-type resort in town lots of people, traffic, shops, etc. or a village-type resort outside of town that's quiet with lots of wildlife (all safe)?

I prefer the latter, in fact I could stay here in Houston and get the former....but you may want that.

The southern resorts like the Iberostar are a 15 minute drive from town, so if you do want take some trips into town you would be better off renting a car than taking a taxi. Besides if you are going to Cozumel, you really should see the whole island or you just haven't seen Cozumel.

West side (at the Iberostar)...

…photobucket.com/albums/ff117/AvianQuest/IxC…

East side...

…photobucket.com/albums/…118-East.jpg

Our photo album shows many of the things that makes Cozumel so wonderful...

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Cozumel?

Nice pics Avian...

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Cozumel?

Very nice pics ... the next 260 days will go very slowly but I'll come back and look at your pics when I need to remind myself that it will be worth it!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Cozumel?

If I was going to bring my children I would consider the Iberostar or the Allegro.

The only reason I say Allegro is because they have a great beach and a nice layout. However I can't say the food was the best and the beds are hard. The location, volleyball nets, and activites suited for families.

The Iberostar is nice also with a decent but not sandy beach with good service and food. The facilities are decent.

El Cozumeleno may be to small for a large family and the beach is very rocky but maintains the ability to snorkel right from shore. (teens)

For couples Iberostar and the El Cozumeleno I would return.

The Allegro for couples I would not but with a family I might.

Wyndham for couples and they no longer accept children.

Another option would be Park Royal but they have facilities across the street for the beach. (this one I have yet to stay).

For diving the Iberostar , allegro, grand occidental.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Cozumel?

Walking to / from the beach area at the Park Royal isn't an issue, and you quickly forget that there is a roadway over the tunnel, which is plenty wide. In actual fact I'd say it's a shorter walk than from most buildings at the Grand, but the Grand has a much nicer beach.

Tunnel from the resort side

…google.com/CozumelTimeCapsules/TheParkRoyal…

and from the waterfront side

…google.com/CozumelTimeCapsules/TheParkRoyal…

SE USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Cozumel?

She Cat,

All advice thus far is good stuff. Keep in mind that Coz is a much slower place than Cancun. The Mega type resorts with non stop activities are really not available. I guess what I am saying is dont rely on a Cozumel resort to keep you busy. The advantage of Cozumel is you can venture out for activities pretty easily. State Parks, Ruins, the Windward side can keep you pretty busy. We have only stayed once for an extended period ...it was last year during the swine flu scare. We stayed at the Park Royal that was mentioned by another poster here. We loved it because the pool and snorkeling was right through the little tunnel under the road. Although the hotel rooms are not beach front ....the water was easy to get to. From there we just took our rental car to all the other places.

Jeff