We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I sware...final last minute questions..........

amarillo
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
I sware...final last minute questions..........

OK, so on seeing the east side of the island. We arrive on Deember 23rd and the bar hop does not have enough people till the 27th and we would prefer to see that side before than. I have seen many mixed reviews on this. It makes me nervous renting a car and stopping and having drinks and carrying on. I also read there are checkpoints all over the island? Which even after 1 beer would scare me! So would it be best to rent car to go see the ruins and lighthouses in morning and than renting cab for east side? Any tips would be great!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
559 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I sware...final last minute questions..........

We have been to Cozumel many times and have never seen a check point driving around the island. The east side is awesome, can't imagine going to CZM and not doing a drive to the "wild side". I do have a couple of drinks at various bars but I do not over indulge. I doubt a check point will have a breathalyzer or give you a problem if you're under control, being sloppy drunk would be an issue.

Get full insurance and make sure you can handle the deductible.

Have a great trip and enjoy the wild side.

Cheers!

Edited: 20 December 2010, 01:09
Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I sware...final last minute questions..........

Do what makes you comfortable.. if you think you may over indulge (and for some that could be 2 beers) than definitely hire a taxi to take you.. negotiate it ahead of time.. xx amount of $$ for xx amount of time.

They do have check points although we've not been through one.

If you have an accident and they determine you have been drinking your insurance is pretty much voided. Better safe than sorry..

If you're only going to have a couple of drinks and eat in between you'll probably be fine. That's what we usually do.. if we wanted to get good and buzzed we would rather hire a taxi and not worry about it!

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I sware...final last minute questions..........

Punta Sur with the most popular and easily accessible lighthouse is on the southern tip of the island. Then the ruins are on the transversal road on the north end. I mean it certainly can be done but it seems like a bit of running around to rent a car, hit those two places, then go back to town to drop off your car and get a cab. I'd just get a cab, then you can really do it up right and they'll take you wherever you want for as long as you like. There are check points but they aren't "all over the island." If you are nervous just get the cab...it'll be more fun for you.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I sware...final last minute questions..........

You could just drive it sober. You would be amazed at how you would actually remember it all. Just saying.

But I appreciate the fact that you are showing some concern, even though it seems to be directed mostly toward not getting nailed.

North Lake...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I sware...final last minute questions..........

We are debating this too. We really enjoy the freedom to roam and hang around somewhere longer rather than a guided tour like the Bar hop- plus we are not looking to get buzzed - I'll reserve that for when I'm within walking distance of our room or an easy taxi ride back. So we are debating on whether or not to rent a car for the day or hire a cab. I have no idea what hiring a cab would cost - everyone says to negotiate but where is the starting point?

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I sware...final last minute questions..........

I've been there 6 times and in that time i have seen 2 checkpoints. Both times the police manning the checkpoints were sitting in their car and could care less who was going by.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I sware...final last minute questions..........

For price guide put "east side taxi" in the search box...or something like that. I think it's between $80. and $100. US depending on how many hours.

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I sware...final last minute questions..........

mitrips.. if you're not going to be drinking just rent a car.. $35 for a VW convertible from ISIS and you're on your way. You can have that for 24 hours and go around the island as many times as you like.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I sware...final last minute questions..........

There are always check points during holiday season and during any of the big traditional "drinking events". Always at Christmas, a high travel period, a nationwide safety and security program is in effect,

www.poresto.net/ver_nota.php…

Cozumel has grown tired of the number of deaths on the highway, almost always alcohol consumption is the cause. Winter 2010 will have check points around the island checking for safety violations as in seat belt use and wearing helmets for moto riders. It goes without saying that alcohol is the number one safety concern.

If you want to drink, it is simple, don't drive. If you are in an accident, no matter who is at fault, any alcohol consumption will void your insurance coverage and legally you will be considered "impaired" even if blood alcohol content is below 0.08%. Taxis are a good alternative to a designated driver. The official rate is quoted at $100 dollars for 4 1/2 hours. That means $1000 pesos and both the time and actual price are negotiable. www.taxicozumel.com/veringles/wedo/wedo.html

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I sware...final last minute questions..........

She said she wanted to have some drinks.