We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

experts which would you choose?

oz
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
experts which would you choose?

I'm booking thru orbitz my choices are

#1 delta - chicago to atlanta then to cozumel

#2 us air - chicago to char NC then to cozumel.

they are very close in price just dont know if one is better than the other. please help

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: experts which would you choose?

Well I am no expert, but I would take the shorter second hop from Atlanta... LOL

oz
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: experts which would you choose?

The connection in NC is 46mins on the way down . has anyone done this ? Is the NC airport smaller then Atlanta? thanks again everyone!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: experts which would you choose?

Much smaller, Charlotte's airport is very easy to navigate compared to Atlanta in my opinion.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: experts which would you choose?

Just my opinion based upon some horror stories. On the return back, given the choice between a 1.5 hour layover and a three hour layover at a LARGE airport, I would pick the three hour layover.

I just prefer to have ZERO concern about customs/immigration processing time and it allows time to eat a leisurely meal.

I have not been to Charlotte but would guess that it is not a large airport.

Google "Charlotte terminal map" and you get get a feel for how large it is compared to Atlanta.

I guess that Raleigh is off the table.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: experts which would you choose?

I've flown thru Charlotte and it's a small, easy to navigate airport. But flying thru either Charlotte or Atlanta seems like a waste of time to me, going nearly in the opposite direction (OK, 90 degrees off) from Chicago. We fly from Chicago either nonstop to Cancun or thru DFW to Cozumel. I'd be concerned about the overall travel time.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: experts which would you choose?

Here's a suggestion: Check both carriers to see if there's another flight home after the flight you're booking. That way, if there's a problem at immigration or customs or weather cancellations on your return, you may have an opportunity to get booked out same day.

Both airports are easy to navigate -- ATL has a train connecting terminals & CLT is walkable. Customs at ATL is usually more backed up than CLT -- immigration lines are about equal.

UAL flies direct, ORD-CUN....

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: experts which would you choose?

Delta is waaaay better than USAir. {""}

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: experts which would you choose?

I fly about 50-60 connections a year. Delta has newer planes, but USAir's are bigger and have more overhead storage to Cozumel.

In the summertime, I try to avoid ATL due to thunderstorms. In the winter, I try to avoid Chicago ORD due to snow storms. I try to avoid PHL at all costs due to the horrible shuttle system.

I enjoy flying into CLT. It is a big airport with a small town feel. Connections are easy to make. If you do need to pull an OJ, there are plenty of people movers and courtesy carts to get you there. I've done the 45 minute connection in CLT about 10 times in the last 2 years. I've never missed a flight. If you are delayed leaving Chicago, USAir will advise you will miss you connection.

The nice thing is about CLT is that there is/was a later Cancun flight you can catch. You might get there a few hours later, but you will get there. We did this once. The gate attendant in Richmond told us we were going to miss our flight and advised leaving the next day. With Cancun in our back pocket as a back up, we went anyway. We missed our flight and were immediately booked to Cancun with a couple of vouchers to bide our time.

Forgot to mention. If you fly USAir out of CLT, sit on the left side of the plane. You will get a great view of Cuba. We were so close to Cuba a couple of times I wondered why we didn't get shot down.

Sometimes travel is an adventure. Plan for it.

Edited: 23 December 2010, 20:27
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: experts which would you choose?

Good point Mark, always keep the Cancun- bus - ferry option open as a backup. I had to do that last year flying through DFW. Mechanical problem in COS so I missed my connecting flight to CZM. No more that day BUT...I knew that there were flights to CUN so I changed to CUN and got to Cozumel the same day. A few hours later but no problems.

Carry-on with essentials is also a good idea.

Mark, last year I flew over Cuba in my plane. Just had to buy a permit. Talked to Cuban controllers. No problem. No international incident.

Edited: 23 December 2010, 20:30
Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: experts which would you choose?

Don't assume that sites like Orbits will always have the best deals. Try to go through Houston or Dallas if possible. Check the major airlines and see which ones have major routes between Chicago and Houston or Dallas and then see which ones go on to Cozumel.

I know Continental has round trips from Chicago to Cozumel for like $480 each, but there is a long layover.