We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swim with sea turtles

CT
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Swim with sea turtles

Hello, heading to Cozumel 1/17-1/25 and looking to do some swimming with sea turtes, I have found places that will book it as an excursion but there will be 4 of us and it is very pricey, is there a more economical way to make this happen, we all have our own snorkel equipment so we won't need to rent any. On cancun discounts they offer a tour but it will be almost $400.00 US. this is at Akumal Bay

Thanks for any help

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,512 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swim with sea turtles

Go to the Akumal forum and research it or ask. You can get there on your own using the ferry (140 pesos per adult one way) plus colectivo (about 30 pesos each one way).

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swim with sea turtles

I have seen sea turtles while snorkeling on Cozumel, but I never found a place where you could be assured of seeing them. I moved off the island over three years ago, so things could have changed, but I haven't heard anything. On the other hand, Akumal Bay is noted for it's sea turtles who regularly gather near the sea grass. You don't need a tour for that. Take the ferry to the mainland early in the morning (only buy a one way ticket) and catch a collectivo to Akumal. Find your way to the beach and ask where the turtles are. Someone will point the way for you. Then take a collectivo or taxi back to Playa del Carmen and ferry back to Cozumel. Piece of cake and much less costly than a tour.

As for snorkeling...I've always enjoyed snorkeling on Cozumel more than any other place I have snorkeled. I've always seen more marine life. But if it's sea turtles you want...that's a trip to Akumal. Easy to do for a day trip.

Texas
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swim with sea turtles

Yes. Take the ferry to PDC, then a taxi to Akumal Bay. You will always see them in Akumal Bay. You can rent chairs ofr just plop down under a palm tree with your towel. Lots of places for lunch. make a day of it. Much more fun this way than those tours................let me know if you need any more info.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,512 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swim with sea turtles

Go to the Akumal forum and look for the Top Questions link on the right side. Then scroll down until you see the one about snorkeling and seeing turtles.

One of those links is below:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k339…

Edited: 03 January 2011, 20:58
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
903 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swim with sea turtles

When I was in Coz last year I took the ferry (can't remember the price) to PDC then caught the Mayab bus for $2 which drop me off on the highway, then walked 1/4 mile to Lol Ha by the beach and jumped in with the turtles. When returning I rode the colectivo for $3 back to PDC. Much cheaper than your $100 tour and you can do this on your own time. Plus you won't have the other tourists flapping their fins in your face or trying to hold on to you because they are scared.

The turtles are amazing! The Akumal reef is amazing! In fact, I just returned from ten days in Akumal where I snorkeled 4 - 5 hours each day, the reef is just 5 minutes from shore. We followed an eagle ray for the longest time, I have a video the ray on FB.

http://tinyurl.com/35jb3nf

I saw a lot more sealife there then I ever saw shore snorkeling in Cozumel. Here are turtle pix from Akumal.

http://tinyurl.com/38f5fzf

CT
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swim with sea turtles

Thanks for all of the information everyone, and those are some great pics Elletek ( the video was unavailable do to privacy settings on your FB). Really can't wait to get down there now!

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swim with sea turtles

We usually rent a car from Budget right there at the ferry pier on the PDC side - it's about $50 for the day and that way you can go to a few different places. If you go early you can go to Tulum first which isn't far from there and only about $5 to get in and see the ruins.

8. Re: Swim with sea turtles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 07:22