We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba shopping in Cozumel

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Assiniboia, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba shopping in Cozumel

While diving in Cozumel a couple years ago, a woman had on a scuba 'jacket' which she wore over her shortie. As I am generally cold after a few dives (but refuse to buy a full suit), I asked her where she got it...surprisingly, in town on the island...hmm...I can't find them at my local dive shop...

So, question is...are the prices out to lunch on the island? Or are there good deals to be had on dive gear??

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba shopping in Cozumel

I've always thought the prices on the island were 25% more expensive than my local dive shop.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba shopping in Cozumel

I agree with Mark. If you don't have a dive shop close to your home, there are several reputible websites you can get any dive product. I've used Amazon.com and Leisure pro.com.

You can check those out to start with. I like to take advantage of the sales. I just hate to pay a big price for things that I know I can get cheaper. But that's just me. If you have "big funds" then go for it, but you just may not be able to find what you want on the island. I know many times, I've taken things from the states to friends on the island because it costs them a lot more.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba shopping in Cozumel

go to the tusa distributor in pdc

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba shopping in Cozumel

I think she's here in Canada so getting one on line isn't as easy or cheap thanks to brokering fees. Another alternative is to check out places that sell Jet Ski styles of watercraft, since many users wear light wetsuits.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,736 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba shopping in Cozumel

Do you wear a hood? If not that may help a lot.

Assiniboia, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba shopping in Cozumel

I started wearing a beanie last year and it was wonderful, not only for warmth, but it kept my long hair in check :) I'll start searching websites, but my dive shop wasn't able to locate what I wanted...maybe it's just time to get a full wetsuit...haven't found one that fits me properly yet. Evidently, they don't make wetsuits for women who aren't built like a a toothpick :(

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba shopping in Cozumel

There are some very nice full suits for women other than Twiggy. If you can find a dealer, Mares is a good brand to try. The suits come in misses' sizes -- best to start with one size larger than your regular dress size.

Texas
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Scuba shopping in Cozumel

I bought a neoprene vest online a couple years ago for snorkeling in November. IS that what you are looking for?

9. Re: Scuba shopping in Cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2011, 07:35