We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for Yucatan - Penninsula Driving Trip (2-3 days)

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for Yucatan - Penninsula Driving Trip (2-3 days)

Hey there...

My partner and I are in Cozumel for 6 days and then wanting to drive the Yucatan/Peninsula for 2 days ending in Cancun.

Pick up car in Playa and Drop in Cancun?

Is this easier said than done?

So approx. Playa to Felipe Carrillo Puerto to Halacho to Chictzen Itza to Tizimin to Cancun is approx. what were thinking)

Any tips or info would be GREAT!

Thanks

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for Yucatan - Penninsula Driving Trip (2-3 days)

Playa to Felipe Carillo Puerto is about two hours. Chichen Itza to Tizimin I'm guessing is around an hour and a half. Haven't gone from Tizimin to Cancun, so I don't know the time. I have no idea what Halacho is.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,417 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for Yucatan - Penninsula Driving Trip (2-3 days)

Thia Mexican government site will give you routing and driving time information. It does have an english option.

…sct.gob.mx/sibuac_internet/ControllerUI…

Curious as to why Tizimin, unless you want to visit someone there. To me, Valladolid is a much more interesting choice.

Edited: 11 January 2011, 11:51
ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for Yucatan - Penninsula Driving Trip (2-3 days)

I'd recommend adding another day to your Yucatan drive, especially if you are planning to stop a lot. Time of year is important -- sunset is early fall through spring. What are your interests? Ruins, cities & settlements, history, wildlife, geology, museums & culture, shopping, other? There's a lot to discover! More info needed & then recommendations can be made!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for Yucatan - Penninsula Driving Trip (2-3 days)

El Gordo, what made you select those places?

Plymouth
Level Contributor
70 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for Yucatan - Penninsula Driving Trip (2-3 days)

My Tip: Fill your tank before any long distances.

(I learned the hard way that there are precious few filling stations in those parts once you get out of town, when I underestimated the MPG of my rental car and got stranded once).

Also, many filling stations are full service, and have some workers on the shady side, so make sure you say exactly how much you plan to give them, and check to be sure the number you're charged is what went into your tank.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for Yucatan - Penninsula Driving Trip (2-3 days)

This was just off the top of my head...

Basically we are just looking for a good canvass of the area in the two days we have to do it.

So I'm open!

Leave Cozumel on morning of day one March 11th and pick up car rental in Playa? (Good idea?)

End in Cancun on day three March 13th

We are game for some major driving if needed (6-8hrs per day is fine)

But a Loop is what I'm looking for!

Playa to Cancun with everything good in between!

You guys rock!

Thanks

El Gordo

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for Yucatan - Penninsula Driving Trip (2-3 days)

Yes, rent in Playa with dropoff at Cancun.

Loop: Go south from Playa toward Tulum - recommended things to see & do along the highway: Tour Actun Chen dry cave, Xel Ha ecopark, Hidden Worlds Cenote Park, Tulum Ruins, Tulum Pueblo, maybe Punta Allen. From Tulum, go north & west to Coba -- there are cenotes to visit on that road, too -- maybe go to Chichen Itza. See Valladolid & take the spur north to Ek Balam & Tizimin and back. Then close the loop to Cancun on 180 Cuota. Whatever you do, don't get tempted to use 180 Libre to Cancun...

Overnight at Tulum, Chichen Itza or Valladolid.

The Ruta Puuc is a great tour, especially if you can get up to Merida and do a really big loop. But those roads are slow going -- no way you could do it in 2 days.

Including Carrillo Puerto also makes the trip too long. And Halacho is very, very far away. Save it & Celestun & Campeche for another trip.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for Yucatan - Penninsula Driving Trip (2-3 days)

I like this routing!

The Playa to Tulum to Coba is straight forward and I get the Valladolid up to Tizimin hitting Ek Balam and back to Valladolid for the night (any stay recommendations...inexpensive?)

How would you go from Coba to Chichen Itza (seem like the routing I see is far from direct, NE from Coba on Nuevo Xcan Tulum to 180 (Carretera Nuevo Vcan Leona Vicano).

We have a couple maps and I tried using the DGDC site but its not the greatest.

Thanks again for the route!

Any tips or places along the way feel free to let me know!

Thanks,

Jeff and Jackie

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips for Yucatan - Penninsula Driving Trip (2-3 days)

To go from Coba to Chichen Itza, follow the signs to Valladolid. Near Chemax you will come to a "T" intersection which is Hwy 180; right is Chemax, so take the left to Valladolid.

A few kilometers before Valladolid you'll come to a bypass so you don't have to drive through the center of the city, which can be more than a little confusing. The bypass is very obvious, as it is a major "T" intersection. If you go straight, you will go into downtown Valladolid; if you take a right, you will bypass the city completely. When I drove there last spring, the turnoff had a big green highway sign that directs you right to Tizimin, Rio Lagartos, Merida Libre and Merida Cuota. Straight ahead is to Valladolid.

Stay on the bypass until it rejoins 180. Take a right onto 180 and stay on the highway until you reach Chichen Itza (the turnoff will be on your left).

Have a great trip!

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips for Yucatan - Penninsula Driving Trip (2-3 days)

That's it. Roads in Yucatan state are very well marked and generally put those in Quintana Roo to shame. You shouldn't have any trouble navigating there, even if you drive through Valladolid centro. I don't know hotels there but have seen some on & near the main plaza, which I'd think would be the place to be. Or you can see if there's a hacienda close by -- those are really nice -- country, not urban. Check the other TA forums, Frommer's, Fodor's, Lonely Planet, etc.