We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to shop for tequila

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best places to shop for tequila

Our 4th trip coming up in April, always buy a bottle for the week and two to take home, soon as I but them next store has cheaper price or should I just wait till we hit the airport on the way home ?

But then gotta get them back into my bags at the U.S. customs and hope they don't break, if I buy in Cozumel I can bubble wrap them before leaving.

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to shop for tequila

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Contrary to popular belief, duty-free tequila is NOT much cheaper than stores in town. Maybe certain brands are, but generally not. But the big question is, "A BOTTLE FOR THE WEEK???" Don't you mean a bottle per day? ;-)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to shop for tequila

In December the duty free in the airport had a great sale on Herradura Reposado,, $12 for 750ml. Buy two, get one more for free. It was hard to turn down. They hand you the items as you exit the building to get onto the plane.

When you land in the US, if your entry point into the country isn't your final destination, you need to put them in your checked bags anyway before re-checking your bag.

omaha, ne
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to shop for tequila

I have found that usually duty free at the airport is one or two dollars cheaper. I have seen special sales in town that beat the airport tho.

So for me, it makes no difference. However, one year we arrived late to the airport, and the duty free store told me I didn't have enough time to buy liquor there. Good thing I had already bought a bottle in town, so I didn't have to go home without.

ohio
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to shop for tequila

A bottle a day ? No one for week but it's a gallon sized bottle....

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to shop for tequila

We buy at Mega for our stay - then a few for the luggage - then a few at the airport. No matter what - it's cheaper then at home !

Michigan
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to shop for tequila

I second on buying at MEGA, it was much cheaper there than any other place. Plus two things:

1: it was a spot to get the GOOD stuff, not just the cheap stuff in the cool over priced bottles that targeted the tourists

2: You'd never see any of the locals buying tequila in the markets by the seaside, would you? So we figured: "When in Rome...."

waco,texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to shop for tequila

Los cinco soles store on main street always have good brands on sale, that's where I get my tequila

8. Re: Best places to shop for tequila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2012, 19:16