We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dive companies for beginners?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Dive companies for beginners?

Hello everyone. We are trying diving for the 1st time in Cozumel next month. Can anyone recommend a good dive company for beginners? I was going to book with Deep Blue but read some alarming reviews on Tripadvisor. Many thanks.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dive companies for beginners?

Where are you staying...most of the bigger hotels have on site dive operations that are pretty decent (and convenient).

Are you just doing the discover scuba?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dive companies for beginners?

I just got back on Monday. The Blue Angel ask for Matt.

He was excellent. I'm 53 woman and got my certification.

He was very good at calming my anxiety and had lots of patience.

This adventure is one of the most incredible views of diving in Cozumel.

It took 5 days and I love it.

He is also the proud owner of a new place in town call Ohanas just North of the Plaza 3 block a Cafe and Bar with excellent Coconut Shrimp.Best Music in Cozumel.

We stayed at the Summer Place Inn and were very satisfied by this welcoming family The Watts and their bed and breakfast.

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dive companies for beginners?

Are you getting your OW certification on this trip or will you already have your OW card?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dive companies for beginners?

We're staying at Cozumel Palace but were told to stay away from Aqua World. We booked with Deep Blue for our beginners dive. Thanks for your replies!

Edited: 20 January 2011, 20:17
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dive companies for beginners?

Any of these are very good choices.

Aqua Safari, highly regarded teaching op.

Blue XT Sea

Scubatony

Pelagic Ventures

and I know there are many others

Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dive companies for beginners?

We just returned from Cozumel yesterday and went diving with Dive House at the Fiesta Americana hotel. My husband and I are experienced divers (200+) and found that this operator is best for new/novice divers. Two divemasters are in the water with the group and lead guided dives. There were quite a few getting certified on our boats this past week. I've been diving for 13+ years and this was the first time I've ever seen a new diver get decompression sickness. This diver had a "yo yo" profile then panic attack under water. The divemaster handled it perfectly and as soon as the diver was aboard the boat, administered oxygen from the DAN kit. As soon as the last diver boarded the boat, we headed straight back to the dock where an ambulance waited to transport him to the hyperbaric chamber. It was handled flawlessly.

7. Re: Dive companies for beginners?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2012, 12:16