We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best resort for comfort & scuba diving - recommendations pls

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
24 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Best resort for comfort & scuba diving - recommendations pls

Hi everyone, I am heading to Hotel Cozumel for a week long scuba divers gathering in June, 2011. However, I would like to stay in Cozumel for two weeks since I have made the trip out from Canada, one week for the group event and a 2nd week possibly at another resort.

I have read the reviews on Hotel Cozumel and while it sounds great for diving purposes (the main reason for m trip), it doesn't sound the best for the relaxation side of my vacation. I would appreciate any recommendations of good resorts you have stayed.

I am a solo traveller and enjoy spending time reading with a nice view in the afternoon after diving, good food and drink close by (if not included at the resort), comfortable beds (if possible), clean and welcoming rooms (nice view would be a plus), quiet (possibly with a spa on site or nearby), and within walking distance to town would be great also.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!!!

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best resort for comfort & scuba diving - recommendations pls

Good food? Comfortable beds? Spa? Clean and welcoming rooms with nice view? Walking distance to town?

Hmmmm........

COZUMEL PALACE....

Also, since you are staying for 2 weeks, CP is currently offering $4000 in Palace Money($$$ value to be used at the resort for spa treatments/golf/diving/upgraded room/lobster dinners/tours/etc...) for a 14 night stay and $1500 Palace Money for 7 night stays.

Cozumel Palace is one of the nicest AI resorts on the island and the food rivals most restaurants in town. Very comfortable beds, first name service and it is truly within walking distance to town.

I'm not a personal fan of their in-house dive-op, but most all dive ops will pick you up from their pier.

Sioux Falls, SD
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best resort for comfort & scuba diving - recommendations pls

I love Playa Azul. All rooms have a beautiful ocean view from their balconies, have nice beds and bathrooms, the beach is good sized, quiet, and was never crowded when we were there. There is a dive shop on site that we use, although as a new diver, I can't tell you much more than I felt safe with our DM. It is not AI, but has restaurants and bars. There is a spa that is quaint and lovely, and the staff at both are amazing! They know all of their guests and make sure you are well taken care of! Not walking distance to town, but 80 pesos each way via taxis waiting out front for you. We can't say more and will be back in just 20 days! Good Luck choosing!

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best resort for comfort & scuba diving - recommendations pls

El Presidente

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best resort for comfort & scuba diving - recommendations pls

I would suggest Cozumel Palace for one week then a small hotel downtown for the other week. Rent a car during the week you are at the small hotel and you can check out the island and local food. Perfect vacation.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,504 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best resort for comfort & scuba diving - recommendations pls

Cozumel Palace would be a great choice IF you can afford it. However if you can't you might want to consider (possibly still a bit expensive for only 1 person in the room) Blue Angel, which is about 1/2 Km south of Hotel Cozumel & right on the water with an awesome view. I've been enjoying that view for the last 1 1/2 hours on the last night of our vacation. We moved here after spending 1 week at Hotel Cozumel (5th stay there) so I know a bit about what it's like, and what it offers, plus I can say the food this trip was MUCH better than on previous trips.

I'll be writing some form of review soon, with input from my wife (non diver) but I can say for certain that the dive op here (Blue Angel) has been great & at a very reasonable price, plus the on site restaurant serves very good food. Check my recent posts for more info if you have the time, plus watch for my trip report in about a week.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best resort for comfort & scuba diving - recommendations pls

Cozumel Palace. Relaxing, pampering, great food, drink service and spa.

msdiver - for nonmembers a 12+ night stay gets $2500 Palace dollars and for a 7 night stay gets $1500 Palace dollars.

VIP members get $4000 Palace dollars for 14 nights and $2000 for 7 nights stay.

7. Re: Best resort for comfort & scuba diving - recommendations pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 16:19