We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy Mexican pesos before we leave in the US?

Michigan
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Buy Mexican pesos before we leave in the US?

Are we better off buying our mexican pesos before we leave from AAA? Or are we better off (rate wise) exchanging in Cozumel?

Thanks....

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Buy Mexican pesos before we leave in the US?

Please read the "frequently asked questions" item on the right side of this page for some background info...

I use a separate travel account Visa Check card for withdrawing Pesos from bank ATMs when on Cozumel. It is the simplest method for me, with a decent exchange rate.

Ruston, LA
Level Contributor
668 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buy Mexican pesos before we leave in the US?

Tenth bullet point down on right hand side.

For years we have used ATM's without a problem. This normally gets you the best exchange rate. The machines are are located all over the square, at the Palacio, and at the grocery stores.

You can withdraw from $300 to $500 depending on machine. Just be sure and add a zero to amount withdrawn. The prompts are in English and Spanish so easy to follow. You get the current bank market rate plus the ATM fee. The machines have predetermined amounts or you can hit

other and type in the amount you want.

The next easiest way is to stop at one of the numerous money exchange booths. The rates are posted so know what the rate is when you walk in.

I would pass on getting pesos in the US. You will probably lose in the exchange plus whatever the bank charges.

Edited: 03 February 2011, 21:09
Michigan
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buy Mexican pesos before we leave in the US?

Thanks! I didn't notice the points on the side! Appreciate the advice. AAA does not charge a rate to exchange your money to pesos.

Edited: 03 February 2011, 22:34
avonlake
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Buy Mexican pesos before we leave in the US?

exchange rate in usa isnt to good right now

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buy Mexican pesos before we leave in the US?

I thought I was going to use an ATM when I went down to Mexico. I debated the same thing: pesos here or when I get down to Mexico.

I called my bank (Chase) to cofirm ATM fees. They told me they would charge me $3 plus a 3% transaction fee of whatever I withdrew. Then they told me they don't charge any fees to exchange pesos and I will get them at the current rate.

I'm thinking that I will now just get the pesos before I leave.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buy Mexican pesos before we leave in the US?

Check with your bank--Bank of America allows customers to withdraw pesos from their accounts at a competitive rate and with no fees, and will have them delivered to the branch of your choice. I did this last September, and the rate I got here at home was better than that of the ATMs in Mexico, which I also used after having too much fun with my initial stock of pesos. I'll do this every time.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buy Mexican pesos before we leave in the US?

Cat just be sure chase tells you what the current rate is.... then compare that to what people are currently reporting in mexico.

The worst exchange rate that I got was on the pesos I got here before we left.

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Buy Mexican pesos before we leave in the US?

I bank with a small local community bank (about 7-8 branches only) and not a biggie like Bank of America. I did stop into a Wells Fargo yesterday and asked if I could buy pesos but was told no. So I guess if I want any pesos before I leave it will be AAA for me ( will also be getting an ATM card). Usually I have a bunch left over but only about 800 pesos left over from last trip.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buy Mexican pesos before we leave in the US?

I was thinking about buying them for a trip to Isla Mujeres after finding out that all the cambios on the island have shut down. Our bank charges a fee which amounts to a 9-1 rate. Yuk.

This morning I realized that AAA does it and was about to look in to it when I saw this thread. They also do the preloaded cards. I have not checked to see what the rate is at AAA but it sounds like a good option.

And no matter how many times someone tells me it is OK to rely on ATMs, there is no way I am going to a foreign country without cash in hand. ATMs break down. Cards get damaged, lost and compromised. ATMs run out of money. The are useless during a power outage.

I still think traveler's checks are the best option if you are going to a resort that will cash them at the front desk.

Edited: 04 February 2011, 22:07
texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buy Mexican pesos before we leave in the US?

But you gotta be a member of AAA yes?