We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't laugh...Life vests on ferry?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
291 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Don't laugh...Life vests on ferry?

Ok, ok...yes I am an over protective parent. A bit crazy. You are all going to tell me it's safe. I know it is when you consider the odds....but still have to know....are there vests for kids?

You just never know when a rogue super wave, pirates,fire, iceberg, tsunami, drunk captain.....

Thanks!

oz
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't laugh...Life vests on ferry?

yes there are but they dont hand them out but im sure if you ask they will give you one. I have NEVER seen anyone wearing one so dont be shocked if people are staring at you!

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't laugh...Life vests on ferry?

There are also life vests on planes that fly over water. I would not suggest wearing one on board the plane. Just like the airplane, if you should have occasion to use a life vest on the ferry, that will probably be the least of your concerns.

The ferry has survived both a pirate attack and the former competitor was rammed by a cruise ship, neither incident required use of life vests. As long as you remain inside the vessel you will be fine. They probably would not appreciate you asking for them as it might spread paranoia and totally mess up their organization.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't laugh...Life vests on ferry?

I'm not saying it's impossible that one wouldn't, but by design the ferries are very, very difficult to roll over or sink and none ever has. These are very large boats with planing hulls built to deliver as comfortable and fast passage as possible in choppy seas. Thankfully, the run is very smooth most of the time. You'll know when it's not because the crew will distribute barf bags...

The boat is never more than 15 minutes from land via the water and the Mexican navy/coast guard keeps ships at the ready in Cozumel --- primarily to search for divers, swimmers and, or course, drug dealers :-) The last thing anyone would want to do is jump into that water -- the channel is extremely deep with fast current and some critters that few are eager to swim with...

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't laugh...Life vests on ferry?

Drunk captain? Not sure about that. We only had 7 or 8 shots.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't laugh...Life vests on ferry?

Is your child going to wear a flotation device when you are playing in the ocean on vacation? Just put that on him/her if you insist on them wearing one.

Iowa
Level Contributor
291 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't laugh...Life vests on ferry?

I figured I would get some fun replies :) Seriously, I am disabled, so if we go over I can't hold them up or go in after them- I sink. I have different worries then some.

Yes we are all bringing our own. Perhaps we will act as if we just recieved some iinformation & throw them all on with a look of terror on our face for fun. (of course that might prevent a ride back for us)

Thanks for the info!

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't laugh...Life vests on ferry?

I think once you are onboard a ferry you will realize how unessessary it would be for vests. They are huge boats and pretty much impossible to flip over. If they hit something they could easily reach land before sinking. They have both indoor and outside seating, but inside is similar to an aircraft but wider and even have a snack/trinket shop. Some even have local bands play on the rear deck...

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
365 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't laugh...Life vests on ferry?

Do whatever you feel you need to do to feel safe. If people stare, so what? They aren't the ones responsible for your children, you are. I agree the ferries every where we've gone have seemed unsinkable. But, isn't that what they said about the Titanic!! It happens. Peace of mind is what is important. Personally I'd throw on my snorkel gear & mae the best of it with the off shore experience, but that's me & I'm not gonna have little ones with me!!! Have fun & be safe!!

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't laugh...Life vests on ferry?

You forgot to think about the most dangerous part of your trip...

It's the drive from your house to the airport and back. Just check the stats, that's where most people end up staring at the wrong side of the grass.

At least if you wear your life vests while driving and something were to happen, the newspaper report would take note of that. Also, don't forget to wear clean underwear just in case you get in an accident.....although there's no guarantee of them staying that way.

oz
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't laugh...Life vests on ferry?

Are you just visiting cozumel for the day or are you staying on cozumel?