We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cab back to hotel after Carnival parade

Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cab back to hotel after Carnival parade

We are in Cozumel for the big parade on Tuesday March 8 and want to go into town for that . Question is will it be difficult to get a cab to get back to hotel on south end of island after parade? Any tips on where to go to pick up cab or any other suggestions.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cab back to hotel after Carnival parade

The only difficulty you will have is not tripping over the taxi's. They are available 24/7.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
244 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cab back to hotel after Carnival parade

Ditto.

I've never had a problem getting a cab. Ever. I don't remember ever having to even wait for one or search for one. They are everywhere.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cab back to hotel after Carnival parade

The question was with regard to after the final parade of Carnaval. It will be somewhat of a challenge depending on when you want to leave. Stay away from the southern end, but you might get one around Corpus Christi church. The rest of that neighborhood will be in grid lock. On 10th avenue by the church is a common pick up drop off spot. The taxi base on calle 2 between 5 & 10 will have a line of people waiting, but eventually you should get one.

If you want to leave early, before the parade completes the return, there are usually taxis waiting around the airport road and Melgar, close to the turn around point. The taxi base is also reliable during the parade. Once you get a taxi, no problem with traffic, they would use avenue 65 to avoid all the downtown congestion.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cab back to hotel after Carnival parade

They aren't everywhere on parade nights. The main street (Melgar) will be blocked off from about where Dlophinarus is located at the south & at somewhere around the airport road at the north. Cabs will be on back streets 2 or 3 blocks back from Melgar, and they'll be using alternate routes. Depending on the location you pick to watch the parade and whether you want to stay until the end you'll have to make up a strategy on finding a cab. You will however find one, but just don't think they will be cruising along Melgar until well after the parade has finished .

FYI the parade starts from the area around Chedroui, passes all the way to the airport road area, does a U turn & returns to the starting point. Crowds assemble early staking out their spot BUT around the square things get crowded fast once the party goers hear the parade coming. When they think it's getting close they leave the bars, restaurants or where ever they've hung out & try to force their way through those who've waited patiently along the route. It's like a stampede, and I recommend avoiding that area, or if you do stay on the waterfront side of the street. .

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,694 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cab back to hotel after Carnival parade

This will be my first Carnaval. I assume the street closures and parade route will make it difficult to park as well. Is my best bet from the North end to cab, walk or ride my bike into town?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cab back to hotel after Carnival parade

Mark you could ride your bike and use one of the back streets running parallel to the waterfront to get from where ever you leave it back to the airport road, and then depending on whether the parade has cleared the area you may need to walk the bike as you approach the intersection, then jump back on. I don't know how think the crowds are at that end of the route but I'd expect them to be large enough to make riding a bike a bit of a challenge.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cab back to hotel after Carnival parade

Mark,

You can drive to town and park in front of Sedena, facing north so you won't have to make a U turn. I did this a couple of years ago and then just walked down Melgar to watch the parade. When I got tired, way before the end of the parade, I was outta there!

8. Re: Cab back to hotel after Carnival parade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 12:16