We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 YR. old that is not mine... Help!

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
10 YR. old that is not mine... Help!

Has anyone taken a nephew or grandchild to Cozumel recently? If so what are the procedures for Customs. He is 10 and already has a passport but he is our nephew. Do we need a notorized letter or anything?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 YR. old that is not mine... Help!

i suspect you will need to prove you arent a kidnapper. go to the local mexican consulate and get the proper form

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 YR. old that is not mine... Help!

Wonder if they have that form on-line. The Mexican Consulate here in Houston is a freaking mad-house...

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 YR. old that is not mine... Help!

You just need a notarized letter from his parents saying he is in your care during the dates of your vacation. Most times they don't even ask for it.

Edited: 21 February 2011, 16:50
Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 YR. old that is not mine... Help!

Thanks y'all. Just notorized or a sworn affidavit from a judge?

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 YR. old that is not mine... Help!

Just notarized. To be extra sure, you might have one letter in English and one in Spanish.

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 YR. old that is not mine... Help!

Ok, thanks again.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,892 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 YR. old that is not mine... Help!

Make sure the letter also gives you express permission to consent to medical care, should it be needed. And have all his insurance information also.

So are you bringing him along to do the dishes and bring you cold cervezas :)

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 YR. old that is not mine... Help!

Ya, that is one of his favorite things to do, get Unc a cold beer. Can't blame him, I used to do the same for all my Uncles. Plus he will never get to do anything like this if we don't take him.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,971 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 YR. old that is not mine... Help!

I brought my minor niece on vacation with me, and all I needed to have was a notarized letter, signed by BOTH PARENTS that I had permission to take her out of the country and that I could authorize medical treatment if necessary. No judge involved. And, if I recall, no one asked to see it anyway.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 YR. old that is not mine... Help!

I gotta do this every year since I am no longer married to my daughter's bio-dad. Here is where you can find the rules.

mexico.us/travel.htm

Then google a Permission Letter for Minor to Travel there are a bunch on the internet that you can copy - print out and get notarized.