We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it OK to leave ur Kids at a Kids Club while you Dive?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Is it OK to leave ur Kids at a Kids Club while you Dive?

My Wife and I are going to be staying at the Fiesta Americana in Cozumel and would like to get away for a couple of dives while we are there....has anyone ever left their kids with the Kids Club for a couple of hours? Our Kids are 9 & 6 and just wondering if this would be considered a normal thing to do?

Or can you take the kids with you on a dive boat? Not sure which would be safer....

Any comments?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it OK to leave ur Kids at a Kids Club while you Dive?

Well, a couple of dives - with a surface interval is going to be way more than a couple of hours.....

Personally I wouldn't want to leave my kids in a kids club that long, but thats just me.

Maybe look in to hiring a private sitter? You might find a smaller dive op that would let them come along on the boat but I suspect they would be very bored with it.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it OK to leave ur Kids at a Kids Club while you Dive?

The answer is NO, for many reasons with the most important one being that there's no way to contact both of you in case of an emergency. Every resort has someone (usually more than 1) they can recommend as a babysitter, and often they are staff members but they could simply be someone with a good reputation.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it OK to leave ur Kids at a Kids Club while you Dive?

I just wouldn't leave my kid with a sitter or a kid's club. Just like I wouldn't let anyone be their sitter here at home if I didn't know them. Doesn't matter if they're staff or have references. I don't know anything the person.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it OK to leave ur Kids at a Kids Club while you Dive?

i would check with the hotel. The ones we have stayed at didn't let you leave the property.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,939 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it OK to leave ur Kids at a Kids Club while you Dive?

I doubt that many dive ops will allow kids along. Looks like you may have to alternate dives/dive days.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it OK to leave ur Kids at a Kids Club while you Dive?

Thanks for your response...just wanted to clarify..we were only going to go for a single dive (no interval) but maybe do it a couple of different days

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it OK to leave ur Kids at a Kids Club while you Dive?

Can you maybe bring along someone else on your vacation? Like a niece or nephew or friend's child that can act as a babysitter/nanny for you?

I know it's tough, not to be able to go do things that you want to do, but I guess that's what you have to deal with when you have kids AND take them with you on vacation.

For me, the real deal breaker with leaving them, is as mentioned previously, there's no way to contact you in case of emergency. I'd leave my kids at the kids club while I was on property, so I could be there in a heartbeat in case something happened, but I wouldn't be comfortable being out of reach of them for a few hours.....

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,939 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it OK to leave ur Kids at a Kids Club while you Dive?

I would email them and ask. There are radios on dive boats.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it OK to leave ur Kids at a Kids Club while you Dive?

Yes... there are radios on dive boats. But, consider the length of time it will take for you to surface, how long it will take to get back to shore, how long it will take to get back to the hotel from shore, etc. Not quite as easy as the boat being radioed that there's an emergency with the kids back at the hotel. Not to mention the other guests on the dive boat.....

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it OK to leave ur Kids at a Kids Club while you Dive?

Just my 2 cents...Most dive ops tha I have used will allow non divers (for a charge). It is for you to decide if they are well behaved enough to not get in the way, or get into trouble. Contact the dive op you are planning to use, and ask them.