We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrifty Car Rental?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, SC USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Thrifty Car Rental?

Anyone used these guys in Cozumel? They have good rates and nicer cars than ISIS.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thrifty Car Rental?

We used them and they were fine - no complaints.... decent car... professional.... they meet you outside the airport door and drive you over to the office..... however, keep in mind the cost of full insurance will cost you WELL beyond Isis rates.

I think our base rate for a week was like $170 - I prepaid the gas to avoid the hassle (I'm lazy on vacation!) and the total was around $430 with the full insurance....

(It makes that $35 a day convertible from Isis look better all the time).

Columbia, SC USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thrifty Car Rental?

I've got CDW through my credit card company - do you remember if they provided liability coverage?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thrifty Car Rental?

Check to make sure your cc insuranc is good out of the country...mine wasnt and I didnt want a hassle.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thrifty Car Rental?

Some car rental agencies in Mexico won't take the CC insurance either - you have to pay all costs up front then file with your CC when you get home.

Thrifty has 0 deductible ins for I think it's $35 a day. Isis is a $450 deductible.

We use Thrifty every year we go- they have always been great for us and love the zero deducible no hassles no doubts in Mexico.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,006 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thrifty Car Rental?

Mexico does recognize out of country insurance. That is between you and your provider, whether it be a Credit Card, or Auto Insurance. If you deline the CDW, Make sure you have enough credit on the card to either buy the car, or repair its damages, then send in the repair bill along with the Mexican Police report to your CC company for re-imbursement. Good Luck.

Sterling Heights MI
Level Contributor
40 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thrifty Car Rental?

Hello Scottymon,

we just got back from Cozumel on 2-19-11.

I reserved a car online about a month before our trip at the cost of 107.00 for a midsize car for 8 days. you then have to take the liability insurance which brought the total to 233.00

us dollars. we drove all week , we stayed 15 mins south of town and used almost a full tank. it cost 23.00 to fill the tank on our last day ... pretty cheap and the car was great, a dodge attitude!? i was really pleased with Thrifty

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thrifty Car Rental?

We rent from Thrifty often. The "full coverage zero deductible" insurance is the SDW and it's always been $25 per day additional (so far).. Worth it to me for piece of mind. We actually had our car hit overnight while parked at our condo and all we had to do was write a 3 sentence accident report and we continued with our vaca. Not having to worry about filing a claim when I get home is worth it.. the car had extensive damage to the back fender body, the bumper and below the bumper.. probably would have cost a few thousand to "fix" it.. so the $25 I spent for the insurance that day paid off for me..

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thrifty Car Rental?

I use Thrifty all the time in Coz because they do accept the CDW from AMEX. When you go to get your car they will imprint your card twice. the first is for the rental, and the second for the CDW coverage. After the rental is turned in they will tear up the CDW imprint if there is no damage. If there is, they will charge the imprint while you turn a claim in for it. The Imprint will require a $500 hold on your card so be sure you have that much on it. They do require LDW insurance(mandatory).

I had a claim last year from a dent after parking and it was totally painless. We drove right to the Thrifty office and they pretty much told me to go and enjoy my vacation. I was there in December and the car was 90 bucks, the LDW 110, for a total of 200. AMEX charges 25 for the insurance, so you get a brand new low mileage car right at the airport for 225 and no deductable. You just can't beat it.

Edited: 28 February 2011, 01:23
9. Re: Thrifty Car Rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 09:23