We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eagle Ray Dive

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Eagle Ray Dive

I thought I made a post on this but cannot find it. On my last trip to Cozumel, I was able to make an eagle ray dive north of town. We drop down to 80-85' where there are some crevasses at the edge of the reef. Settle to the bottom and wait a bit until you start seeing glimpses moving south from the north.

First one, then another...and more. Finally around 15 eagle rays are moving effortlessly and gracefully. They disperse at some point but we wait a bit more and they soon come back. This time they glide over the top of us. This is one picture taken by Jim Duprie.

http://tinyurl.com/4wfx5eu

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eagle Ray Dive

Nice picture. Which dive-op?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eagle Ray Dive

Aldora. They went two days in a row. Unfortunately I had my Ek Balam trip planned for the second.

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eagle Ray Dive

has anyone ever seen rays like that while snorkeling or are they only down deep ?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eagle Ray Dive

Here is another shot that is a bit more of a side view. I count eleven in this frame. Again, the picture was taken by Jim Duprie.

http://tinyurl.com/5v7jj8b

The day I went our first dive was Barracuda. Surface interval at Playa Azul then the Eagle Ray dive.

Edited: 27 February 2011, 04:11
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,741 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eagle Ray Dive

Very nice Ron. Any idea how long they will hang around this area? I know it is seasonal.

We watch the boats drop people off for this dive, but I have never actually done it when the eagle rays are there.

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eagle Ray Dive

I'm glad you got to see them. We dove there a week ago and were skunked. First time this has happened to us. We were there early in the morning and dove down to the "cut" and waited, but the rays didn't come. Another bunch of divers had jumped in about 15 minutes before us. They didn't see the rays either. Just luck of the draw I guess.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eagle Ray Dive

I do not know the season. Perhaps cycle went after they left or it was just a luck issue. Personally I find it to be an awesome experience. Perhaps understandably I found snorkeling with whale sharks to be great as was swimming with manatees.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,490 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eagle Ray Dive

Lucky you (and Jim especially) We were there too but only saw 7 or 8, and not with such great light as that. I'd have really liked to get a shot under those conditions, even with fewer Eagles.

As for seeing them while snorkeling YES, I have on several occasions. On my first trip to Cozumel I found 1 while snorkeling from what's now the Park Royal towards town. Id guess I found it in the area where the Villablanca is located, and not too far out from shore. It let me follow it for quite a while, but finally headed out to deeper water. I've also seen them while snorkeling just south of Hotel Cozumel, and between the Palace & Scuba Club on different visits. If you see one don't rush towards it, just slow down & enjoy the sight, otherwise it will jurn on the jets & be gone in a flash.

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eagle Ray Dive

If I were to see one the Last thing I would do would be to rush towards it ! I am terrified of big things in the water !!! I would most likely freeze in panic. I saw a really really big fish snorkeling once and almost popped a lung swimming to shore.

Sterling Heights MI
Level Contributor
40 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eagle Ray Dive

Hey Wicked Witch,

my husband and I snorked at palancar gardens on 2-15-11,

and we saw an eagle ray about 30 feet from us, really beautiful, a wonderful experiance.