We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dumb question about washing drinking mugs

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Dumb question about washing drinking mugs

Last time we were in Coz we just rinsed out our small bubba kegs but sometimes we get dirty monkeys and the froth makes it gross. This time I am taking down dishsoap but should I add bleach or something to sterilize it. We brush our teeth with bottled water and drink bottled water so I got to thinking maybe we should do something when washing dishes. Am I just being overly cautious? Thanks for any advice.

Youngstown, OH
Level Contributor
314 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dumb question about washing drinking mugs

We have never used bottled water to clean cups except for when we took my 4 year old niece (didn't want to take the chance with her) and we have never had a problem. I just dry them out the best I can. But, I brush my teeth with tap water and have no problems either - I am just careful not to swallow any.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dumb question about washing drinking mugs

I brush my teeth with tap water...and in fact, the maid washed our coffee cups and wineglass in our bathroom sink at the Allegro. You're probably just fine with dishsoap.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dumb question about washing drinking mugs

I agree but to be doubly sure, you could end by swishing 'em w/ some hydrogen peroxide and then put them in the sun for an hour or two. P.S. I just can't brush my teeth with tap water.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dumb question about washing drinking mugs

I am definitely with you on the toothbrushing. Bottled water only for me. It's just the dishwashing decision for me. Never thought about hydrogen peroxide.

Thanks everyone.

Ashby, Minnesota
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dumb question about washing drinking mugs

Dish soap is anti bacterial

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dumb question about washing drinking mugs

I did realize that some dish soap is antibacterial but I wasn't sure if it attacks the right thing in the water.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dumb question about washing drinking mugs

No reason to use anything other than dish soap. Besides being a practical way to get the scuzz off, nothing that will hurt you can survive the detergent wash.

The tap water here is full of lime and is treated with chlorine to eliminate waterborne diseases. The reason that people don't drink it is that it tastes terrible.

It's perfectly OK to use tap water for rinsing veggies or for brushing teeth. Some people like to follow up with bottled water to rinse away whatever bad flavor the tap water may leave.. Some people don't bother with the extra rinse. That's a personal preference.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
903 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dumb question about washing drinking mugs

Good post ds2!

CORedtop,

lol if you just rinsed your bubba all week with out using soap, do you think that really got rid of all the bacteria during your stay? You drank out of after rinsing it so why would washing it have an adverse effect? Why would you add bleach to a plastic cup? I bet everything would taste or smell like bleach after that.

I always wash my bubba with Dawn every night before going to bed. Let it air dry all night and it's good to go in the morning.

I have accidentally brushed my teeth with the tap water, and never got sick.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dumb question about washing drinking mugs

No, no Elletek. I just swished water around in it last time and last time I had stomach issues, not bad but had them. Could have been too much sun and alcohol as far as I'm concerned and I will never know. No big deal. So I was just thinking about it again and thought that I should wash my keg this time around. I have zero problems adding a drop or two of bleach. We have to sterilize our RV that way. I have accidentally brushed my teeth with the water before, also. It's habit!

Thank you, ds2. Very interesting and I appreciate you taking the time to explain it. Dawn it is.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
903 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dumb question about washing drinking mugs

Yep, prolly a good idea to wash your cup with soap and water everyday.

What's even grosser... is taking that dirty monkey fuzzy cup to the bartender to be filled. I noticed most all the bartenders looking inside my cup before filling and on several occasions they have actually washed it for me if I asked them and they weren't too busy.

Happy travels

Elle