We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liquid carry-on Rules different at Cozumel Airport?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
913 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Liquid carry-on Rules different at Cozumel Airport?

Is this true? If so, it must be new in the past year.

From a review: "Oh, a quick warning to travellers--Cozumel Airport Security will not allow you to carry-on travel sized liquids in a ziplock bag bigger than sandwich size. We watched as they threw out the toiletries of passenger after passenger who packed a quart-sized ziplock. They will let you buy baggies from the airport pharmacy for $1 each (!) but will then only allow one per passenger, and confiscated two extra ziplocks that my husband purchased unknowingly, essentially stealing 2 dollars. The woman was so nasty to us, my daughter was in tears. Such a contrast to the folks that run El Cozumeleno and such an arbitrarily mean thing to do when Mexico needs ambassadors more than ever. "

usa
Level Contributor
346 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liquid carry-on Rules different at Cozumel Airport?

true true...saw that at the airport 2 weeks ago....

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
913 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liquid carry-on Rules different at Cozumel Airport?

Good to know. I would hate to lose any liquid vitamins, medicines, etc. but now I know just to pack all of that for my trip home in my checked bag.

I wonder why they have changed their rules. Two years ago I bought bottled water in the airport to take on the plane to mix with dry baby formula and the TSA or whoever they are down there at the gate took away the water so I argued my need with the gate agent who spoke English and she talked him into giving them back to me. He was not going to let me take my baby's formula in her bottle, either.

How are we to know these rules ahead of time?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liquid carry-on Rules different at Cozumel Airport?

I'm not aware of any major rule changes. (Formula and breast milk and some RX exceptions have been made) It has always been a single one quart bag per person with the liquids being in containers that have 3 ounces printed on the labels. The liquids have to fit in the bag.

What they will confiscate in contradiction to "revised" TSA policies are sharp nail files, finger nail clippers with a blade, etc. Cozumel is tougher than TSA policy as they don't want to get blacklisted for being lax. You will get checked again before you leave the door to walk on the tarmac.

Over the last 4 years, I've have been to Cozumel 20-30 times. I have never had anything removed from my carry on. If you are concerned it may be confiscated, put it in your checked bag.

I practically lived in airports last year and made over 60 flights. I am still amazed at how much junk ends up in the security check point trash can simply because the traveler never bothered to familiarize themselves with the rules or understand that a metal detector actually detects metal....(keys, coins, phones, etc.)

Edited: 02 March 2011, 20:03
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
913 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liquid carry-on Rules different at Cozumel Airport?

Yes I agree with your post as I travel quite frequently for business (sure not what it used to be!) but we were treated much differently in Cozumel than in the US and nowhere did I see anything posted in the airport (after the 1st security check) that bottled water was not allowed to be taken on the plane. I was checked right before walking out the door to the tarmac and my carry on was opened and rifled through. However, I was able to take my 3 oz bottles in a QUART sized bag and now I hear it's a SANDWICH sized bag. That could cause frustration for many travelers who are accustomed to the QUART sized bag that we have been using for a while now in the states.

It would be nice to verify this change for upcoming travelers.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liquid carry-on Rules different at Cozumel Airport?

Everything is subject to interpretation, but here's what the TSA says:

http://www.tsa.gov/311/

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liquid carry-on Rules different at Cozumel Airport?

The biggest difference in Cozumel was that drinks purchases after getting through security are not allowed past the gate door and they recheck everything there.

It is like an extra security checkpoint I have never seen in the USA.

For the most part, if your liquids made it past the first check, you will get past the gate check, but woe is you if you bought more past the security checkpoint.

A lot of people were frustrated becuase they had bought drinks they planned to take with them and couldnt. (Thankfully I had finished my cervezas :).

Palm - Eagle Beach...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Liquid carry-on Rules different at Cozumel Airport?

As a good rule of thumb regarding any rules both official and unofficial everything in Mexico is made up as they go along and is subject to change at any given moment for no apparent reason.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Liquid carry-on Rules different at Cozumel Airport?

Sounds like a good reason to stop going to CZM if they continue to be nasty to the touri$t$!

oz
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Liquid carry-on Rules different at Cozumel Airport?

YEP SURE like i'm gonna let my used shampoo and conditioner being thrown out stop me from returning to cozumel! If you want to keep your 311 bag items that much pack them in your checked bag going back home.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
903 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Liquid carry-on Rules different at Cozumel Airport?

Yep, I agree. Pack your liquids in your checked luggage for the flight home. Drink everything before boarding the plane. You can bring food aboard, but it has to be factory sealed and unopened.

I did smell a woman bring a Styrofoam container full of fish on a Frontier flight, she sat down and ate it. The whole plane smelled like dead fish for the entire flight.