We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shore snorkeling for kids

indiana
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Topic
Shore snorkeling for kids

I'll be bring the children to Cozumel March 24 for the day and they want to snorkle. All of my kids have been spoiled by learning to snorkle there and nothing else seems to compare. They aren't super strong swimmers and my oldest only wants to snorkle for about 15 minutes, so I need a place where there is some sand for them to play in (it doesn't need to be a great beach - just some sand) and really good shore snorkeling. I thought about the Palancar reef snorkle, but I'm not sure that I want to spend 35 dollars for my oldest to sit on the boat. I'll be traveling alone with three kids and leaving one on shore while I take the others out on a boat is not possible. We have been to Chakanaab before and it was great, but might want to try something a little different this time especially with the admission fee being raised.

Can you give me any suggestions? I'll be traveling to Coz from 3-9 to 3-13 and will be able to check out your suggestions for myself before I bring the kids. Yes, two visits to Coz in three weeks- I love my life!

Palancar Reef
Geologic Formations, Reefs
Santa Rosa Wall
Columbia Reef
El Paso del Cedral Reef
texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shore snorkeling for kids

Check out Playa Corona. I think it'd be a great fit. Easy entry for little 'uns. And they have some sand.

oz
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shore snorkeling for kids

how about going to punta sur lighthouse, then they can snorkel and go see the crocs?

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shore snorkeling for kids

Love the light house, but Punta Sur could be too much for the "littluns."

Gee...so many beaches to choose from. I was just always at the hotel with my grandkid "littluns."

Thinking...........get back on that one.

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shore snorkeling for kids

How old are the lil tikes?

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shore snorkeling for kids

My youngest is 13 and she does really well at Playa Corona and it's pay as you go - no fee to get it in - just buy something to drink and enjoy the time there.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shore snorkeling for kids

Palancar beach would be perfect. There is a beach with chairs/tables for you, and a roped area that has a lot of shallow area for swimming. I snorkelled there once and saw a ton of stuff. Very safe yet entertaining...

indiana
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shore snorkeling for kids

Thanks for the replys. The kids are 10, 8, and 7. The 8yo wants to learn to dive when he is old enough, but he will be content to see some fish until then. I guess that means Mom is going to have to learn to dive also.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shore snorkeling for kids

Brain, it's good that they are snorkeling. My little gsons have been swimming and snorkeling sine they were iddy biddy. I put them in my pool and they breath off my octopus and go under with me. I'm teaching them how to breath slowly and how to get the feeling of diving. Good luck with your kiddos, they will love it.

9. Re: Shore snorkeling for kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 18:15